Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I see the line
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year Ladies!
I finally decided to do DH races this year. One of my new year's resolutions. I am going to check/practice the course on Saturday and Sun morning. Since this is my 1st DH race, I thought would be a great idea to hear all your smart advices or your superstitons or just about anythings.
Race day is going to be sunny and 70 degrees! Sunny Southern CA ;)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Most important is to relax and have fun!

First - go and walk the course - up and down. This will help you see all the different lines that are available. It's great to pick a line and try to stick with it, but sometimes you get bounced around, and sometimes you need to pass someone and they are in your line. So walk it first (more than once if you have time) and look for your main line (fastest rideable line, not necessarily the smoothest), terrain traps to avoid, and alternate lines.

Try to get in at least one practice run a day that is top to bottom, no stopping, to simulate racing. If that's not possible because there are too many people on the course, at least choose different stopping points so you've ridden every section at speed. You dont want to go into a race and realize there's a section you've never ridden through without stopping (and it's easy to do if there are points where people are naturally bunched up and stopped.)

Look over your bike frequently and check your tires and brakes and spokes and everything you can think of far enough in advance of your race that you'll have time to fix it. I mean - obviously you should be doing a basic maintenance check on your bike before you ride it every time, but make sure you're doing a thorough check after each practice session and again before your race.

And finally - don't change things right before your race run. Don't listen to other people telling you about some fabulous line you missed and try to find it in your race run. Don't mess with your suspension. And don't try to go SO much faster during your race run that you're going to hit corners or other tricky spots with more speed than you can handle.

That means you need to try to practice fast too. I like to think of it as telling myself I'm going for a ride and I'm trying to catch a friend who is just out of sight around the next corner (this is also a mental cue to me to look ahead). Push it, but not so hard that your riding is a mess or you're crashing or blowing off course because that's not going to make you faster.

Have fun!! :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Girl good luck! I can't really give any advice on DH racing as I'm a roadie who also geeks it out on the XC bike. You DH chicas are tough cookies!

Go rock it, and just try to have fun the first time out. there's so much to learn in racing.

Tiff

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Get in your pre-rides, ask any other women about lines if they are standing around. Practice will help the confidence. Remember the little things like breathing, looking 2 bike lengths ahead, keeping your upper body relaxed, etc.

Also, try to relax once you're up top and staged. Just have fun with it and chat with others! You might want water/a small snack (half a bar, gel, etc) while you're waiting. Helps to not start out too dehydrated or hungry!

·
I see the line
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone! Yes, indeed, I am going to enjoy the race experience. Connie, thank you so much for the detail advices. I have never thought of hiking up the course, so I will definitely do that.
Happy riding!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.