Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a bit of a newbie to this enduro thing but I did the Captain race last year and was hooked! So I have registered for the first couple BME races and am looking for any advice anyone has.
Any information as far as how early to get to the event.. how to practice the course if possible. Where to stay? (the lodging requested on the BME site sounds like a good idea)
Literally the more info I can soak up the better!
Thanks in advance,
Jimmy

·
Registered
374 Posts
Last year it was usually nice to get there wed night or early Thursday. You may not know the entire course layout, but can get a good head start. Lots of people camping either in the parking lots or nearby. Makes for a fun environment and it's nice to have someplace close to take a break, work on your bike, and eat/drink between stages. Worth bringing a spare tire or two, gear cables, various pads, trail and full face helmets. Depending on which races you do, more spare parts are good to have. The resort races will pound your bike more than the others. They are a lot of fun. Just pack like you would for a normal weekend riding trip with a few extras and you'll be good.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Get there early, parts of Valhalla are included across various stages. Valhalla is a jump/flow line and while not having the biggest hits in the state has some rather oddly spaced and lipped hits. You'll want to have a grasp on which ones you need to scrub, soak, or just prep to be boosted.

There are other parts, like the 20 minute stage which you'll also want to preride to understand where/when you can open it and time your pace so as not to blow up 6 minutes into a 20 min stage.

Lastly, we'll probably also hit the DH course, which is not a buffed, manicured, flow line, its a DH course with some nice drops and features you'll want to be familiar with as well.

Snowmass has been running the enduro for years and I imagine that now that BME has co-opted the event, they'll use the same stages, lines etc...

Hope any of that is useful to you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I definately would like to know some of the lines and what types of features im up against. Im not too concerned with the back contry type races but more so the resorts.
As for camping do you mean during race day or camping there the whole weekend? Im not much of a camper, I prefer a bed and shower when Im riding..

·
Registered
267 Posts
Titus,

There is no shortage of hotels in this valley. On-mountain/resort in Snowmass will be super convenient, but i'm guessing its an arm and a leg ( Aspen, valley of kings ). On the opposite side, you can check out the Comfort Inn/Days Inn in Carbondale which is about 15 minutes down valley from Snowmass, and i'm guessing infinitely cheaper than staying on-mountain. And in Glenwood, about 25 mins down valley, there are tons of hotels plus the massive hot springs, which is a pretty nice soak after a day of racing.

And though I live here in Carbondale, I actually don't have a clue where to camp around here : )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts