Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: Date 4/24

READ MORE HERE> http://mtbtourdepeninsula.org

We have a limited number of spots you must rsvp to [email protected] with the following

1. name plus the names of any riders you are bringing
2. loop you want to do A or B http://mtbtourdepeninsula.org/maps.html
3. your riding level (not required) and nothing to specific -- maybe - "I hope I can make it" or "ya - I can hammer this" --

THE COST IS ZERO - but so is the support :)

We do have some cool swag available - other than what the online company collects about 3 bucks per item goes to midpen --

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1st annual MTB tour de Peninsula (75-100m)

Patrick thought that it would be fun to string together some of the local MTB areas. It would be a mix of Open Space and paved roads. While you could certainly do this on a cross bike; we would be hoping that all ride MTBs - The fatties are what will make this a challenge.

We wanted see how many, if any, would be interested in doing an informal, somewhat bootlegged long distance MTB ride. It would NOT be a race, so no checkpoints, no support, no prizes! But heck, no entrance fees either.

The start and finish will be near Water Dog, with Carlmont Shopping Center serving as a post ride calibration area. There are a few good semi-casual eating options and Jola's serves margaritas and beer!

While past loops ranged from 50 miles to over 200; we are thinking that a mid range distance between 75m and 100m would be the best option.

Would anybody be interested? If so PLEASE chime in.

Based on your input, Patrick will decide on the loop and I'll pre-run it this Friday, gathering elevation and distance numbers. Then we will decide on a future ride date in April. We will create a Webpage with a gpx file, printable map and ALL the names of those that take part of this first Annual MTB Tour de Peninsula!

While the exact route isn't planned out yet, it would most likely be a variation of one of these loop done in the past. (Screen captures below of past loops variations).

Maybe a modified version of this 100m loop http://www.destinationproductions.com/Bike/LDR/Ride-to-Grizzly-and-Back-100+.jpg

1. DMC
2. Water Dog
3. Windy Hill Open Space
4. Coal Creek Open Space
5. Alpine Road
6. Monte Bello Open Space
7. Lower Steven Creek
8. Long Ridge Open Space
9. Skyline Ridge Open Space
10. Russian Ridge Open Space
11. El Corte de Madera Open Space
12. Purisima Creek Open Space

Other possibilities:

Easy 60m http://www.destinationproductions.com/Bike/LDR/Grizzly-and-back-via-windy-Hill-60+.jpg

1. DMC
2. Water Dog
3. Alpine Road
4. Russian Ridge Open Space
5. Windy Hill Open Space

Medium 60m http://www.destinationproductions.com/Bike/LDR/RR-and-back-via-skeggs-60+.jpg

1. DMC
2. Water Dog
3. Alpine Road
4. Russian Ridge Open Space
5. Skeggs

200+m best for summer http://www.destinationproductions.com/Bike/LDR/Ride-to-demo-and-Back-200+.jpg This one started in the dark and finished in the dark!

1. DMC
2. Water Dog
3. Windy Hill Open Space
4. Coal Creek Open Space
5. Alpine Road
6. Monte Bello Open Space
7. Lower Steven Creek
8. Fremont Older Open Space
9. St. Joseph's Hill Open Space
10. DEMO
11. Saratoga Gap Open Space
12. Long Ridge Open Space
13. Skyline Ridge Open Space
14. Russian Ridge Open Space
15. El Corte de Madera Open Space
16. Purisima Creek Open Space
17. out to the coast
18. Laurel Wood Park
19. Belmont Knoll
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cohenfive said:
how many days is this ride?
We are only going to do ONE of the loops, not all of the loops. Because the various MTB areas are connected with pavement they ride relatively fast. As an example, the easy 60 mile loop can be done as a sub 5 hour ride. But there is no time limit, just bring a light ;-)

The reason for showing the 200+ mile loop (BTW I started in the dark and finished in the dark and it was done in summer!) is that we could, if there was enough interest, shift the Northern focus and wrap more Southern areas in, or make the loop bigger.

We are hoping to figure-out what you guys would like to try. Distance, difficulty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EBrider said:
I would be interested. Why not do the 100 mile option with a bailout for those that would rather do less?
GREAT! --

Because most of the milage is along the Open Space areas off Skyline 35 the whole ride will great bail out points. So the 100 can easily become something like 40,50 or 60. In addition to reducing milage, it would be easy to skip a climb or two. But more details on that later -
 

·
aka baycat
Joined
·
8,480 Posts
diver160651 said:
GREAT! --

Because most of the milage is along the Open Space areas off Skyline 35 the whole ride will great bail out points. So the 100 can easily become something like 40,50 or 60. In addition to reducing milage, it would be easy to skip a climb or two. But more details on that later -
Been wanting to hit some of these Peninsula rides.

Do you have a google maps/directions, instead of the linked JPG, that I could follow solo for the 100? Sounds like some great rides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
baycat said:
Been wanting to hit some of these Peninsula rides.

Do you have a google maps/directions, instead of the linked JPG, that I could follow solo for the 100? Sounds like some great rides.
Next week I'll post a web page that will have the routes gpx file, as well as detail descriptions of the trails, bailout points etc.

Patrick and I talked about getting input from everyone on MTBR before we committed to the actual route.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,135 Posts
At this stage, we're looking at gathering ideas of where to ride and how far and how many would be interested. It's going to be a bit like the elsewhere-discussed Enduro, but more low key (by necessity with MidPen).

Jim and I have talked through a couple of potential options, based on his epic rides recently, and come up with some potential routes. One that I like comes out at 80 miles, 9200' and balances road and dirt nicely (with the major climbing on dirt)

See the route here on bikeroutetoaster

Perhaps we could start with this and see if folks want to add more time in a particular OSP, hit different OSPs, etc. The general idea is to hit as many as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
583 Posts
EBrider said:
I would be interested. Why not do the 100 mile option with a bailout for those that would rather do less?
I second that :thumbsup:

The 80 mile route looks good too, like I said, I would be up for anything between 60 and 100 miles, depending on energy, mood and my schedule with races :D

I guess we will have to wait and see what others are thinking. Chime in!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
I'd love to do something like this if there are bail out options. The goal would be to do whatever you throw at us (80-100) but I like knowing I can get out if I need to in case I cramp or something.

Any weekend that isn't Boggs or Sea Otter I'd roll.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
Hey you forgot Arastradero ;). Add ~12 miles, squeeze it in somewhere between Alpine and Windy Hill.

And one could bikepack the 200 mile route: sleep over on the Montebello campground (near the summit of the Black Mountain), BBQ & beer and ride on the next morning.

diver160651 said:
1st annual MTB tour de Peninsula? (75-100m)

Patrick thought that it would be fun to string together some of the local MTB areas. It would be a mix of Open Space and paved roads. While you could certainly do this on a cross bike; we would be hoping that all ride MTBs - The fatties are what will make this a challenge.

We wanted see how many, if any, would be interested in doing an informal, somewhat bootlegged long distance MTB ride. It would NOT be a race, so no checkpoints, no support, no prizes! But heck, no entrance fees either.

The start and finish will be near Water Dog, with Carlmont Shopping Center serving as a post ride calibration area. There are a few good semi-casual eating options and Jola's serves margaritas and beer!

While past loops ranged from 50 miles to over 200; we are thinking that a mid range distance between 75m and 100m would be the best option.

Would anybody be interested? If so PLEASE chime in.

Based on your input, Patrick will decide on the loop and I'll pre-run it this Friday, gathering elevation and distance numbers. Then we will decide on a future ride date in April. We will create a Webpage with a gpx file, printable map and ALL the names of those that take part of this first Annual MTB Tour de Peninsula!

While the exact route isn't planned out yet, it would most likely be a variation of one of these past loops. (Screen captures below of past loops variations).

Maybe a modified version of this 100m loop http://www.destinationproductions.com/Bike/LDR/Ride-to-Grizzly-and-Back-100+.jpg

1. DMC
2. Water Dog
3. Windy Hill Open Space
4. Coal Creek Open Space
5. Alpine Road
6. Monte Bello Open Space
7. Lower Steven Creek
8. Long Ridge Open Space
9. Skyline Ridge Open Space
10. Russian Ridge Open Space
11. El Corte de Madera Open Space
12. Purisima Creek Open Space

Other possibilities:

Easy 60m http://www.destinationproductions.com/Bike/LDR/Grizzly-and-back-via-windy-Hill-60+.jpg

1. DMC
2. Water Dog
3. Alpine Road
4. Russian Ridge Open Space
5. Windy Hill Open Space

Medium 60m http://www.destinationproductions.com/Bike/LDR/RR-and-back-via-skeggs-60+.jpg

1. DMC
2. Water Dog
3. Alpine Road
4. Russian Ridge Open Space
5. Skeggs

200+m best for summer http://www.destinationproductions.com/Bike/LDR/Ride-to-demo-and-Back-200+.jpg

1. DMC
2. Water Dog
3. Windy Hill Open Space
4. Coal Creek Open Space
5. Alpine Road
6. Monte Bello Open Space
7. Lower Steven Creek
8. Fremont Older Open Space
9. St. Joseph's Hill Open Space
10. DEMO
11. Saratoga Gap Open Space
12. Long Ridge Open Space
13. Skyline Ridge Open Space
14. Russian Ridge Open Space
15. El Corte de Madera Open Space
16. Purisima Creek Open Space
17. out to the coast
18. Laurel Wood Park
19. Belmont Knoll
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ElHombre said:
Hey you forgot Arastradero ;). Add ~12 miles, squeeze it in somewhere between Alpine and Windy Hill.

And one could bikepack the 200 mile route: sleep over on the Montebello campground (near the summit of the Black Mountain), BBQ & beer and ride on the next morning.
riding ultra long in one 24hr period on a mtb while traveling light, is one thing. Running 20+pounds of packs and gear, sleeping on the hard ground - whew, thats another! Done the bike camping thing - thats for real men and women. I'm a wimp -

I think we need to keep the route somewhat condensed and as high of a dirt to pavement ratio as possible -- unfortunately, Arastradero is in kind of a weird spot for this particular loop.
 
1 - 20 of 282 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top