Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all,

i currently wear my Fly Racing warp shorts with the padded liner ALWAYS. But up till now, my rides have only consisted of 4 - 8 miles. Last week after riding 18 - 20 miles, when I got out of the saddle, it felt like someone ran 80 grit sandpaper through my crotch.

Any suggestions for attire for 50K XC race and maybe even some butt paste or whatever you call it.

Thank you guys

Sid

· getting back into it...
210 Posts
Go with a bib that's designed for gravel racing / longer adventures. If you want the baggy look, put baggies over them without the liner but if you're racing you might want to just stay with skin-tight stuff...

Our company's Venture Bib might fit the bill as an example (I work for Hyperthreads).

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,082 Posts
Yes, a bib is a great idea if you don't have to pee. If you have to pee, it really sucks.

· Registered
402 Posts
+1 for bibs/chamois. Buy the most expensive ones you can afford. I also buy the smallest/tightest size I can get on. there's nothing worse than a loose chamois. Motion leads to friction leads to chafing leads to sores. Get a good race cut jersey with them and skip the baggies. Fashion is stupid when you're competing. With just good bibs/jersey your sweat can better do its job and you'll run cooler and once the initial discomfort of wearing tight form fitting clothes wears off you will be more comfortable. I won't wear anything else. Last year, I started riding with some buddies that wear baggies. I felt a little out of place in my full lycra kit so one weekend I threw on the one baggy layer I have just to fit in. Sure as ****, when about to descend thru some rowdy step rocky trail I snagged my baggy shorts on a tree limb and it almost ended me. Never again.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,082 Posts
What do you think the guys on grand tour road races do? Those guys can pull down their bibs and pee while maintaining 30 mph... I guess my point is good bibs will easily stretch and allow for pee. Poo on the other hand... well let's not get poo on our hands.
I've done both extensively in races. Chamois shorts work great and create the least amount of issues for me. The only time I'd put bibs on is when they are connected to pants, instead of shorts. I see so many racers going around with the "bib" part of their shorts hanging down too, defeating the purpose. IMO chamois shorts are just more flexible for riding situations.

· Formerly of Kent
14,152 Posts
I've done both extensively in races. Chamois shorts work great and create the least amount of issues for me. The only time I'd put bibs on is when they are connected to pants, instead of shorts. I see so many racers going around with the "bib" part of their shorts hanging down too, defeating the purpose. IMO chamois shorts are just more flexible for riding situations.
I don't know how any part of proper fitting bibs would "hang down".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Inspector Gadget
Nor*Cal and I like bikes
1,192 Posts
If you actually need to pee 'during' a race... you aren't riding hard enough! Ride harder, sweat some more... no peeing necessary. 😅

I wear baggies with snap-in liners/chamois even when racing XC (I will choose my 'tightest' fitting pair). Use chamois butter and everything is all good.

· Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So a bib that has a padded liner as part of it and tight lycra over those? Plus chamois butter? Is it actually called chamois butter? I was looking at those bibs online. They are like 120 - 150 bucks. But Amazon had a bunch that were closer to 30 or 40 bucks. What do you all think there?

Thanks for your guys' patience.

· getting back into it...
210 Posts
Hit and miss on the lower priced stuff. Some have good experiences, some have terrible ones. Since the whole point you're doing it is to have a quality ride with a really good chamois, you might want to try something a bit more name-brand the first time around. Or as a tip, for ones that are really cheap, pay attention to how much details they go into describing the chamois. If they are glossing over it, more chance it's just a piece of flimsy foam rather than more advanced materials.

OTH, you can find last year's high end gear at great prices on various online sites much of the time. I always like to cite sierra.com as an example.

· Registered
1,468 Posts
Even when I was dead broke I would spend money on quality shorts/bibs. And one you find a pair that you really like buy two or three more of them. I wear bibs 95% of the time, generally with baggies over the top simply because I no longer look the part. However the other day I wore bibs and a regular old Lycra jersey on a MTB ride for the first time in a long time. It was glorious. Definitely cooler, phone wasn’t dragging one side of the Jersey down, got a nice tan line. I may have to lose 20 lbs just to look the part again.

· since 4/10/2009
37,137 Posts
So a bib that has a padded liner as part of it and tight lycra over those?
Nah. The bib IS lycra. So that's what you wear. Bibs and a jersey. That's it.

Plus chamois butter? Is it actually called chamois butter?
Yes, there is a brand called chamois butt'r. there are other brands, too. Find one you like and use it. I use DZ Nuts.

I was looking at those bibs online. They are like 120 - 150 bucks. But Amazon had a bunch that were closer to 30 or 40 bucks. What do you all think there?
Shorts of any kind are where I spend my money for mtb apparel. I don't skimp. The more expensive stuff has better fabric, better fit, better seam construction, better chamois, the list goes on. The fabric alone on the more expensive stuff feels VERY different than the cheaper stuff. Good fabric feels like a/c to me. Cheap stuff feels clammy. But one of the biggest aspects here is seam construction. The super cheap stuff often has basic seams that leave a tab hanging off that's thicker than everything else. That extra material creates rub points. Flat seams you find on better stuff reduce the rub points. Further, better shorts have fabric panel construction such that it puts the seams in locations where they're less likely to rub. So the combination of seam placement and seam type can make a huge difference when you're talking about a longer event where there will be lots of sweating and movement that can generate lots of rubbing.

And I didn't even go into chamois construction. There's a pretty wide range of possibilities here. For casual mtb rides, I honestly don't GAF about the chamois. I can ride with whatever, and maybe even without a chamois of any kind. But for longer rides and especially races where I'm going to be working hard the whole time, I absolutely DO care.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.