Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
ritchey said:
]Has anyone had their steel bike modified from a 1 inch head tube to a 1.25 inch head tube to run a newer shocks? If so where? thanks
I assume that you mean convert it to 1.125, not 1.25?

Anyway, any good frame builder can do this. I've seen Bontragers converted by Rock Lobster in Santa Cruz.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Shayne said:
I dont know about later years but I know 98 SIDs could have 1" steerers.
Best SID in my opinion also.
They were available up to '00 (although in relatively small numbers).

·
Registered
554 Posts
Steerer tube mod.

Okay. This is based on limited knowledge, but the issue is using 1.125" steerer on 1" type bikes:

(also, I thought of this because I want to use later model SID's...)

Would it be possible to cut the 1.125" steerer tube off just above the crown, insert a milled aluminum tube of decent wall thickness that is 1" diameter by x length above the crown, possibly narrower within crown for tight fit, then have it seat 1/8" to 1/4" above crown bottom then TIG weld the gap circumference?

I know this would void all warranties but if this were possible, it would solve a) tracking down 1" steerer shocks (harder) and b) older frame using newer shock tech.

I imagine it might take a machinist/welder like 0.5 - 1 hour to do.

Eh?

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
holden said:
Okay. This is based on limited knowledge, but the issue is using 1.125" steerer on 1" type bikes:

Would it be possible to cut the 1.125" steerer tube off just above the crown, insert a milled aluminum tube of decent wall thickness that is 1" diameter by x length above the crown, possibly narrower within crown for tight fit, then have it seat 1/8" to 1/4" above crown bottom then TIG weld the gap circumference?

I know this would void all warranties but if this were possible, it would solve a) tracking down 1" steerer shocks (harder) and b) older frame using newer shock tech.

I imagine it might take a machinist/welder like 0.5 - 1 hour to do.

Eh?
There are modifications that are possible - search the archinves and you'll find some. However, there are still lots of options available.

1) Buy this: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=FK700A00

2) Watch eBay and find a '98 to '02 Marzocchi Atom Race or X-Fly fork with a 1" steerer. They're good forks and come up occassionally. (A Bonty frame with a 1" 2001 X-Fly just sold in hte past two days on ebay for about $250. Deals are out there.)

3) Find a 1" Judy which are fairly common on eBay, and really not that bad of a fork.

4) etc. etc.

In case you do go the route of modification, a 1" steel steerer tube is probably lighter than AL. I have a 1" SID with an AL steerer and it's heavier than I expected. I e-mailed Rock Shox and their response was: the 1" AL steerer had to be made with extra thick walls to keep it from flexing which made it heavier than a steel steerer, but no one would have bought the fork with a steel steerer, so so we used it any way.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Steerer tube mod Addendum

I'm assuming current steerer tube's are cast into crown. I might be wrong.

if they are compress fitted into crown, i wonder if they can:

a) be forced out safely, then follow prior technique with larger diameter within crown (lots of milling here or two-part TIG steerer)...

or

b) just slip new steerer into remaining 1.125 portion fully, then TIG it on bottom of crown, covering new, old and little bit of crown (if aluminum).

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

I think process heat might be an issue here though.

I wonder if a mechanical fastener could work...or how Marzocchi does their conversions. I'm going to ponder some.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Steerer tube mod Addendum 02

I should add the motivation here is to use a SID fork because of weight. I know Marzocchi is respected but I their stuff is heavy (though I've never ridden on one).

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Using a steel steerer tube would be nice and light. Then a mechanical solution would be required for the interface to the crown....hmm. yeah? AL would work still though.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Steerer tube mod Addendum 03

Okay.

I found 2 worthwhile components:

Paul Component crown, which was bolt compressed (?) 1" or 1.125" steerer.
&
AC crown (?)...can't find any info on it though.

Wonder what these would cost.

+ + + + + + + + +

And, as we know, Marzocchi and Pace also make 1" steerer forks.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
If money is no object, I would contact Jerry Vanderpool of HIppietech Suspension
(https://www.hippiesuspension.com/) as he is a bad ass ex-rock shox employee and may have a 1" SID left....but it will be costly.
I think it's worth while as I had him do some custom work on a 99/00 SID for me...works great 2 years running with not so much as an oil change...which is blasphmy when it comes to SID's...

But...as others have said...stuff comes up all the time. You could find a Judy with a 1" steer (I've got three) and drop some Englund Total Air bits and you're on your way.
Hell, it you get the bolt on Judy steer/crown, you could even (carefully) cut the old steer/crown off a newer SID of your choice and slide the 1" steer/crown on in it's place providing the measurements of the sanctions are the same and weren't damaged in the cutting process.

Pace out of the UK makes a good 1" fork from what I hear too...but not available to the general public of the US...

White Judy with zero offset Bontrager crown (steel) and a Yellow ex-team Ritchey fork...all had for closer to the $100 range.

Easier options are out there!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I was high...

... not really, but i think i was over ambitious. LOL

BUT i still think that regarding later-model AL-crown SID conversions, the TIG-welded steerer swap could work. Maybe.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

I agree with looking for old Judy's as being an easier option but hooking up with a good machinist/welder (assuming the above method is valid) is conveinent for me.

hippiesuspension is a good option...i;ve heard good things about them, especially for Mag-21 rebuilds. i wonder what it would cost for late model SID conversion to 1"...

RE: bolt on Judy steer/crown, i liked this idea too. but similar to the old Judy option, its a matter of waiting for the right one to show up.

good times, eh?

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
holden said:
i wonder what it would cost for late model SID conversion to 1"...
If you can find a '00 SID (w/ dual air) you replace the lowers with current SID lowers. Easy conversion...

If you need light weight, SIDs are cool. If you want a smoother ride, I'd go with the Marzocchi. I have bikes with both, and the SID is nice because you can throw the front end around, but I prefer the feel of the Marzocchi (but it's about a full pound heavier).

·
Illuminati
1,730 Posts
its a lot easier than you think! the stantion size of most rockshox hasnt changed in a while. find a 1in 96 clamp up judy style fork crown. carefully cut the old crown off existing forks & use the 96 crown. I've done this with a 96 judy SL crown on some 01 coil/oil judy Sls with no problems.

Magura/ rond forks also still make 1in ahead steerers, work pretty well too apparently ;)

ta

scant

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
scant said:
its a lot easier than you think! the stantion size of most rockshox hasnt changed in a while. find a 1in 96 clamp up judy style fork crown. carefully cut the old crown off existing forks & use the 96 crown. I've done this with a 96 judy SL crown on some 01 coil/oil judy Sls with no problems.
That's what I was sayin'! I've not tried it myself (haven't needed to yet), but it's something I'd really like to do in the future. I heard that danger of cutting the sanctions is the biggest worry.
Scant, do you have any pics of the one you did? Or your experience with doing it?

·
Illuminati
1,730 Posts
sorry eric! misunderstood!
cut the crown with a dremel in a few places, then cracked the crown apart by wedging it with a screw driver. cleaned the tops of the stantions & the 96 steerer/crown bolted clean on. Take your time & its not a difficult job.
Sorry dont have pics.

Unless you're really going for a retro look. I'd recommend a magura fork. the quiet underdog I reckon ;)

ta

scant

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.