Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
artistic...
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
King is too obvious and too rich for this build. I am shooting for a shimano 600... but i find them boring. Tange ... boring. Suntour xc pro.. maybe. Mavic... price is no go. FSA... poor imitation. Cane creek.. they are all ugly.

Probably end w/ a shimano 600 but i feel like i could do better.

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
I don't know if you can still get them but I was always a fan of American Classic tapered roller bearing headsets. Not bling but understated functional beauty.

·
artistic...
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if you can still get them but I was always a fan of American Classic tapered roller bearing headsets. Not bling but understated functional beauty.
Hard to find and very expensive. Otoh i heard stories about less than functional beauty. Saw one for sale the other day for silly money.
Mavic is the coolest one to look at. KIng WTB is the king.

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
Otoh i heard stories about less than functional beauty.

Well I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As far as functionality my personal experience was that they were set and forget, never any problems with the ones I used.

For whatever reason I was never overly impressed with King.

·
artistic...
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As far as functionality my personal experience was that they were set and forget, never any problems with the ones I used.

For whatever reason I was never overly impressed with King.
I would buy the ACs on your recommendation but they are around 200 bucks on ebay. I could add stronglight to the list.. they are very light. Another option is campagnolo: I have an old veloce on a bike that looks just like those euclyds or something from campy off road line up.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I still stand by Tange (get one that fits this time!), but Stronglight or Miche might work for this and still be reasonable price-wise. Stronglight Delta is pretty headset, but seems to be well-remembered and is pricier.

Just look out for a 26.4 crown race.

·
artistic...
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still stand by Tange (get one that fits this time!), but Stronglight or Miche might work for this and still be reasonable price-wise. Stronglight Delta is pretty headset, but seems to be well-remembered and is pricier.

I learned about the 27.0 JIS standard the hard way. ... but the guy who sold me ( he is a frame builder no less) knew what frame would the HS go into.

·
artistic...
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Those tange headsets are heavy. If i cannot climb i will blame it on you.

·
artistic...
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right now I have the tange levin on top, the one that mimics a campagnolo record... and a cane creek S2 at the bottom. Other than creaking all the time everything is fine. I can´t find what is creaking but i suspect maybe is the crown race not sitting perfectly against the cane creek sealed bearing. Maybe the crown race is upside down....

BTW: a tange levin is very similar to a shimano headset. It´s obviously heavier... but bearings are bigger and races are steel. It´s 60 grams of extra toughnness.

·
hello pot? this is kettle
257 Posts
I slathered the top and bottom of the sealed bearing assembly with wheel bearing grease wehn mine was creaking, quiet as a mouse now.

·
artistic...
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I slathered the top and bottom of the sealed bearing assembly with wheel bearing grease wehn mine was creaking, quiet as a mouse now.
That´s my next step.

·
artistic...
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still creaking. Will replace the cane creek lower w/ something else.

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
XC-Pro GG works a peach and not that hard to find. XTR and…well it's XTR.

·
artistic...
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
XC-Pro GG works a peach and not that hard to find. XTR and…well it's XTR.
I may bring back to life my tange levin njs; the one that mimics a campagnolo nuovo record. It´s steel and heavy but tough w/ big bearings. Also looking good w/ chrome peeling off like well worn patina.

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
I've never worn one out.
I may bring back to life my tange levin njs; the one that mimics a campagnolo nuovo record. It´s steel and heavy but tough w/ big bearings. Also looking good w/ chrome peeling off like well worn patina.

·
artistic...
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've never worn one out.
Mine was... crown race or bearings. Something there was gone. Reinstalled the cane creek lower w/ anti seize on the head tube and creaks diminished considerably... for now. Till i get me a new tange Levin njs. Aluminum this time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts