Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello

I need to replace the wheelset on my Focus Black Forest and I am having trouble finding appropriate wheelset to replace them. The wheelset has to be 6 bolt, 135 QR rear and 100 mm QR front and wide enough for the 2.2" tires I am running.

The ones that interest me most at the moment are the Fulcrum Red Power 29 SL. They are listed as having the width 19C and a fear that they aren't wide enough to support the 2.2". However many 19 mm wide rims are listed as supporting up to 2.25" wide tires.

FULCRUM Wheels - Products: Red Power 29 SL

The budget is in the 300$ +/- category. (Fulcrum Red Power SL MTB Wheelset 2014 | Chain Reaction Cycles)

I don't have access to my bike at the moment and unfortunately there are no information to be had online about the specs of the Concept EX wheelsets.

So my question is, will Fulcrum work with my current tires or do you know of any other similar wheelsets that will.

Thank you.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I currently have the XL version of these fulcrums and am running tubed maxxis ikon 2.2 without problems

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
250 Posts
You can find the Red Power XL wheels on eBay for less than $230. They are much lighter than SL and will be a better upgrade

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bump this as I wanted to get comment on one wheelset which I am considering against the Fulcrum Red Power SL/XL

https://www.dtswiss.com/Wheels/MTB-Wheels-/X-1900-Spline-29

Anybody have a comment about these wheels?

I haven't found any review about them, only x1600 26" but they are 142x12 and 15x100 but seem to be convertible to 135mm QR and 100 QR with the included accessory.

I can get them for a fair price (the same as the Fulcrum Red Power SL would cost)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not that it matters now but I found out that the rims were 19C. Thanks to the sticker on the rims :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry, should have quoted "imey" :) as I was answering him.

Yes the DT's are 622x18C

Pawls or stars? What's the difference ?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I used to have 622x19 mm wheels (DT TK540 rims) on my 29er with 2.35" Nobby Nics. At low pressures the bike felt really unstable and squirmy. Switching to a 622x21 mm wheelset (Notubes Crest rims) was a vast improvement in the ride quality, even though the difference in rim width is quite small.

If you're more of an XC rider and use higher pressures, a rim on the narrow side is not much of an issue. But in that case you're probably running tires that are XC-narrow.

·
Registered
14,061 Posts
The Wide Lightning wheelset is 30mm inside or so. I'm running 2.2 XR1 Team Bontragers front starting at 18 rear at 24. The added volume gives a lot more cushion. The grip is very good. I've run these only a few times so far and will be trying lower pressures over the season. So far nothing negative.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used to have 622x19 mm wheels (DT TK540 rims) on my 29er with 2.35" Nobby Nics. At low pressures the bike felt really unstable and squirmy. Switching to a 622x21 mm wheelset (Notubes Crest rims) was a vast improvement in the ride quality, even though the difference in rim width is quite small.

If you're more of an XC rider and use higher pressures, a rim on the narrow side is not much of an issue. But in that case you're probably running tires that are XC-narrow.
Thinking about it, most of my rides and intended use is XC with about 40 PSI, 19 mm has sufficed so far, should continue to do so :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I decided just to get the DT Swiss from the LBS since it was the best price.

After reading a bit it seems that tires seem to ,for most parts, be slimmer than claimed and as for the Conti race king the 2.2" is actually 2.0 (1) more or less and Maxxis Ikon are .1" (2) short of what is claimed. Although there may be different factors weighing in on the width of each tire.

I'll just have to stop worrying now and start riding. Thanks for the input.

sources:
(1) Continental Race King 2.2" 29"er Tires: First Impressions
(2) Maxxis Ikon 29"er Tires: Out Of The Box

1 - 19 of 19 Posts