Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

My old hardtail is a 1999 (I think) F4000 with a Fatty of some sort on it. I just replaced the cartridge a few months ago to one with a lockout. But, after riding my Rush and Scalpel with Lefty's on them for a while, I would really like to put a Lefty on the old beast as well. Is it recommended on ones that old, I know the frame welds are pretty stout, but would a 100 or 110mm lefty put too much stress on it? Also, since the geometry is set up for an 80 mm fork, would this change the handling drastically (Medium size). If so, could I destroke the Lefty to 80mm?

Any thoughts on the subject would be of great help.

Thanks

·
Registered
826 Posts
Yes, it will work, no problem. If you go from a Fatty to a Lefty you will notice right off the bat that the steering is a little slower and the bike feels "longish". That's because the front wheel is just a little further out and away from the handlebars. After a few miles you don't notice it so much. Don't be afraid of that extra 20 mm of travel. It's hard to bottom out a Lefty and especially for XC applications.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I've always found my Lefty to be an exceptionally quick steerer .
Unless the Fatty is that much more of a slower steerer , I think
you would be in for quicker reactions using a Lefty .

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
A 100-110 mm travel Lefty is a whopping 2mm taller than a Headshok. :eek: You also run it with a bit more sag, maybe that extra 2 mm so it wont affect the geometry much and I would be surprised if most feel a difference in steering quickness, you'll only get more quality travel. It can be reduced to 80 mm but it wont change the geometry... and your frame will handle the Lefty just fine strength wise too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.