Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really appreciate you folks being here. I recently bought a 1998 FSR, a beautiful Kawasaki green one, from my local Pawn Shop.

I paid 150.00 for the bike. I washed it and it is in extremely good condition. I had to replace the grips. The original stock tires are in decent shape. It has an XT front derailer, an XTR rear, with Deore shifters. Brakes are Avid 5's.

I am wondering if this machine is worth upgrading? I dont expecially care for the double crown "Judy XL" fork and the rock shox deluxe appears to leave room for improvement.

I would really like to hear opinions on what fork and shock I should upgrade to. I weigh 200 lbs and ride this bike in all conditions. I must admit I am not a fast rider, but good suspension is important to me.

I also see folks talking about the BETD linkage. Is this available stateside?

·
Paper or plastic?
10,198 Posts
You have to order the BETD linkage directly from BETD in the UK. However, it gets here within 2 weeks. They also have great customer service. You can also order a link from www.risseracing.com out here in Norcal but it only has one travel setting.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
The BETD link will cost more than your bike and the best upgrade for the rear suspension is actually the BETD full bearing kit which again cost more than your bike.<p>How much money do you have to spend? A complete upgrade of that bike to modern spec's could exceed the price of a new '04 bike. I say forget the upgrades, ride the crap out of it and save your pennies (about 100k of them) for a new modern bike.

·
Go Bears!
141 Posts
Ratt said:
A complete upgrade of that bike to modern spec's could exceed the price of a new '04 bike. I say forget the upgrades, ride the crap out of it and save your pennies (about 100k of them) for a new modern bike.
Unless the upgrades are transferable to the new bike/frame, like a fork - which was his original question. You can find a decent used fork inexpensively, or go for a new fork that you can transfer to a new bike later. I have a 2000 Enduro pro with a Manitou Xvert Super fork. It works as well or better than most of the new forks I tried. Beats the new Rock Shox Psylos hands down, and is pretty inexpensive on ebay. I'm 180lbs with 10-20lb backpack on my commute, and the fork is great. It requires next to zero maintenance, and is fully adjustable.

For the rear shock, buy a used float or vanilla,and have it PUSH'd. When my shock needs a rebuild it will go there.

As long as you buy upgrades that are transferable and/or sellable, you aren't going to lose out, especialy having only paid $150 for the bike as it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You!

I might start with the forks. As you have said, they can be transfered to a new bike if necessary.

Then again, in a year or two they will probably be outdated. I can imagine putting my high dollar specialized Carbon Fiber forks on anything now days...not.

The bike is really decent as is. The cost is low, but I am having so much fun I cannot even stand it. I thought suspension was a waste of tim...until I rode with it.

Do you recomend any specific budget priced forks? I would like something in the 4-5 inch range. I hate to spend over about 300.00, but if the 300.00 price point buys garbage, I dont mind being told so!

·
Go Bears!
141 Posts
rcannon said:
Do you recomend any specific budget priced forks? I would like something in the 4-5 inch range. I hate to spend over about 300.00, but if the 300.00 price point buys garbage, I dont mind being told so!
Larry at mtnhighcyclery.com was selling Fox Vanilla R 125s for about $350, but looks like they're sold out. I was planning to go this route, but the bike I bought came with the X-Vert Super, and I feel no need to upgrade. Give him a call anyways and see what he recommends. $350 is about what you would need for a decent new fork like that one, or maybe a Manitou Black.

Look through the Shock forum and ask there as well. The last screaming fork deal that came through was for the Noleen Mega-Airs that were dumped on ebay for $99.

The advantage you have is that you can ride what you have now, and wait for the right deal to come along. The '04s will be going on closeout in the next few months as the '05s roll out.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,198 Posts
For a 98 FSR XC, you should not get a fork with more than 100mm travel since the original rear is 75mm I believe. You could get an adjustable travel fork (I got a Psylo SL 80-125mm) if you want to make the bike more versatile. However, getting a 125mm fork will upset the bike geometry and make climbing a real chore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts