Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relatively new to serious mountain biking (im a bmxer and dirt bike racer) and i just recently got a used 1999 cannondale v900. it came with a fox alps shock and magura hydraulic brakes. i absolutely love this bike, and its a great single track bike. my only question is what i should do with the stock head shok. it definitely doesn't have enough travel, but my budget is low since im only 15.

·
Eff U Gee Em
159 Posts
replacement

Travel on the Headshoks can't be changed, you will need to swap the fork out for another. Lots of options available, anything will fit but you will need a new headset and stem unless you put a Lefty on it. If you decide to go with a Lefty then you would need a new front wheel as it requires a special hub.

·
Ridin' dirty!
2,208 Posts
harrisonv900 said:
any suggestions for a fork? i still want to keep the fox shock on the back...
If you're on a budget try ebay.
Look for a manitou black or minute fork. That way you'll be able to keep your magura brakes.
If you buy a lefty it'll be to expensive since you need a new front hub and a disc brake.
If you convert to a standard fork it'll be like:
$90.- converter headset,
$100.- 0r $150.- for a used fork
and then a 1 1/8 stem which are available at any bike shop.
If you want to keep it "cannondale" you can look on ebay for a MOTO FR fork.
They're OEM, have 100mm of travel and are bomb proof, but heavy.
You would still need a converter headset and a new stem though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
just finished. have to post 10 times to post a url as the pdf is hosted from my google drive so it will live on since i am hosting it myself. Time to make a few more posts and get this to the masses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts