Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of the scene for awhile, man this stuff has changed!

Been shopping around for a new ride, and it's confusing. So I figured I'd upgrade my old bike to start and then invest in a new bike once I figure out what works for me. I think I'm also a bit nostalgic about the frame as it was handmade in the USA.

Here's the scoop. I have a '98 F2000 (rode the Divide on it BITD!) with a Fatty head shock and full XTR componentry. Figure the derailleurs and shifters are still good, but would like to get to 100 MM of travel and disc brakes, which will be easy in the front and complicated in the rear. My goal, really, is to have a light-weight retro beast! I know it's going to be $$$, OK with that.

Any ideas???

Chris

·
Phobia of petting zoos.
1,000 Posts
There are disc brake adapters for the rear, A2Z springs to mind, but they can be cludgey.

I'd stick with v'brakes on the rear and by all means run a disc up front. Besides, most of your braking force is on the front, the rear is along for the ride.

Get some headtube adapters to shim it down to 1 1/8", get a new headset and a Fox Float 100mm or a more period correct SID. Disc brake of your choice. If your shifters are mated to your brake levers then you might want to consider a cable disc brake, such as an Avid BB7.

Oh yeah, and a new stem as well.

Grumps

·
Sergeant Spandex
669 Posts
If it is still in working order why not ride it as is.

If the goal is to buy to a new bike soon, why not save money by skipping the upgrade, which we all know can be very pricey.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, Grumps. I think I've found a couple of the Fox Float 100's-- seems like a good option. What do you think about using a lefty fork?

·
Phobia of petting zoos.
1,000 Posts
Lefty is an option.

I prefer the Lefty over the Headshok any day. Never had either but friends of mine were die hard Cannondale fans and when it came time to do any maintenance on a Headshok they all got a bit scared.

Grumps

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,304 Posts
Lefty. Now they are bootless too, so it's a good time to like them.

Don't forget that Cannondale has their trade in program too. Gets you a nice chunk off MSRP on a new fork of your choice.

I'd do that before I'd ever swap all those parts out, just to put a Fox on.....

And, yes, if this is a keeping it original discussion, that Headshock should be able to be made quite serviceable.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a similar issue with a Cannondale F400 from 2000 which this year fulfilled the bathtub probability of failure with almost each component breaking within a couple of months of each other. The P-Bone headshok I replaced with a yr2010 DLR new old stock headshok which is amazing. This has 80mm travel and is fine for the cross country, trails and single track I do. This cost $300, (and a headshok rebuild on the old shock was quoted at $250 ) so new shock came. I replaced the v brakes with new titanium v brakes from TRP and nice carbon levers. The front derailleur failed and I friend gave me an old 3 speed XT front. This works well. Last week the headset needed new bearings. Went riding, back wheel seized up the free hub. So new wheel is coming. Since it's a new wheel and cassette is a little worn am thinking of changing to a 1x10 system with a new crankset (current CODA crankset is 94BCD 5 bolt) and using a clutched derailleur like a zee with an 11-36 system.

What can I tell you from this?

The whole thing is crazy. A new bike before starting on all this would have been much better. I could get a 29 hard tail with similar level spec for about the same this has all cost (I also changed the stem to reflect my changing body and put on a wider bar).

If you are staring at the bike and you love it and want to ride it again, or if you have lots of excess money, go ahead, change stuff up. New brakes and a 1x10 or 2x10 would be good. It might be that like me, you go into a bike store today and find all 2014 cannondale MTBs 20% off to celebrate the mtb World Cup coming to Australia and you have to ask yourself whether it wouldn't have been better to have bought a new bike 12months ago. The new bikes feel amazing. I am not criticising restoring an old bike - I seem to make this mistake constantly but go in with eyes open. IMHO.

·
Registered
54 Posts
About a lefty. So there are ebay lefties and there are new lefties from Cannondale dealers. A new, warrantied 26in lefty will get harder to find if you want new although cannondale still have them ( or RLC sport in Australia will sell you one ). It's not a cheap exchange but you can get 100mm travel or more. For a lefty you need a lefty, the lefty attachment system, the lefty stem, a lefty wheel, and a front disc brake. It was not cost effective for me. I understand that if you buy the 140mm travel 26in lefty a lefty mechanic can convert it to 80mm for 29in wheel should this be appealing to you at a later date.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've been out of the scene for awhile, man this stuff has changed!

My goal, really, is to have a light-weight retro beast! I know it's going to be $$$, OK with that.

Any ideas???

Chris
I think you have a CAAD4 frame, is that right? Disc brakes will be heavier than v brakes for this but discs will work much better. The CAAD4 has a funny rear seat stay with a strange disc brake 4 hole thingy - is your bike like that?
A lefty weighs about a kg now. If you are cautious you can get the bike to around 10kg although mine is way over that. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts