Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!

I'm trying to sell a 1997 Klein Mantra Race and was wondering what its value would be in a hot market, namely the DC-area. The components were originally a mix of Shimano Deore LX and XT, but it was upgraded to full XT, including hubs. The bars were probably upgraded a long time ago, just like the wheelset, and most recently, the fork was replaced. The condition is good, but it seems the bike has been raced, so it shows some wear around the hinges of the rear triangle, some scratches, and most significantly, heavy wear around the chainrings from what seems to be the chain rubbing against the frame. I would be selling most of the original components along with the updated ones (except drivetrain).

I have a full list of components, original and replaced, but the one thing I cannot figure out is the frame size. I would assume it is a small or medium based on the geometry listed in the 1997 Klein catalog.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, opinions, or feedback. If nothing else, I hope you enjoy the images. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
570 Posts
$289 to $352 The damage from the chain really spoils its value.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I sold my '96 Cannondale Super V 2000 similarly equipped for $450 a few months ago. The paint jobs on the pre-EPA bikes was phenomenal, they shined!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The Klein Mantra!....Little did we know how crappy our expensive bikes were in the 90s.

You should donate it to someone you hate.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nice looking bike... But old mtbs generally aren't worth anything. Like verboten said, probably not worth more than a few hundred.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm about to sell my friends absolutely mint condition 1997 Cannondale Super V 900 with upgrades on it. Not even going to try to sell it whole. I can get way more out of it by parting it out. There are plenty of people interested in vintage parts (especially XT and XTR) but not necessarily in a vintage bike. 👍

·
Registered
570 Posts
The Klein Mantra!....Little did we know how crappy our expensive bikes were in the 90s.

You should donate it to someone you hate.
This is the best advice really.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts