Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this bike since I bought it new in 1997. I enjoy riding this bike and out of curiosity when is the right time to say it is time to say goodbye to an old friend? I have looked at doing some upgrades to it like Disk Brakes and maybe going to tubeless but I'm not sure the extra cost would be worth it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sure, it's worthwhile to upgrade an old friend. My '93 Stumpjumper, which I've also had since new but has had a lot of upgrades in recent years, is as fun though not quite as capable over rougher trail as my now stolen recent 29er cross country hardtail that had carbon wheels, 1x11, etc. Where do you ride? If it's mostly easier trails, the new bikes aren't really any better than a well sorted old bike.

Make sure to target the shortcomings of your current bike. My priorities were position on the bike (my '93 was like a road bike with a huge saddle to bar drop and super skinny bars the first 2 decades I had the bike), and lower gears. The original 3x7 low gear on my '93 was geared a lot higher than new bikes are these day, and lower gears allow me to ride steep trail that wasn't rideable before on the old bike (old low was 22.9 gear inches, new setup with 2x9 is 18.6 gear inches, a 23% difference).

A disc brake in the front (you don't have a mount in the rear) would be very low in priority for me. There is essentially no difference in the dry. Get some Kool Stop salmon pads for your V-brakes first if your braking is lacking. Unless you are getting a lot of punctures, tubeless is probably not the first thing I'd do either because there are few, lightweight, new tubeless compatible 26" rims.

First thing I'd do that would make an obvious improvement in feel would be to get a modern width handlebar 72-80cm wide if your bars are narrower than that. And dial in the rest of the fit if not ideal.

If your fork is terrible, which it probably is, check out the Marzocchi thread below for the new old stock Bomber Z3/
Z4s that have recently become available. If your drivetrain is pretty worn out, it's fairly inexpensive to upgrade to 1x11 or 1x12 (starting with 11T sprocket- see Sunshine cassettes on aliexpress) with a new cassette, rear derailleur, chain, shifter, and narrow-wide chainring in front (removing 2 rings on your current crank).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure, it's worthwhile to upgrade an old friend. My '93 Stumpjumper, which I've also had since new but has had a lot of upgrades in recent years, is as fun though not quite as capable over rougher trail as my now stolen recent 29er cross country hardtail that had carbon wheels, 1x11, etc. Where do you ride? If it's mostly easier trails, the new bikes aren't really any better than a well sorted old bike.

Make sure to target the shortcomings of your current bike. My priorities were position on the bike (my '93 was like a road bike with a huge saddle to bar drop and super skinny bars the first 2 decades I had the bike), and lower gears. The original 3x7 low gear on my '93 was geared a lot higher than new bikes are these day, and lower gears allow me to ride steep trail that wasn't rideable before on the old bike (old low was 22.9 gear inches, new setup with 2x9 is 18.6 gear inches, a 23% difference).

A disc brake in the front (you don't have a mount in the rear) would be very low in priority for me. There is essentially no difference in the dry. Get some Kool Stop salmon pads for your V-brakes first if your braking is lacking. Unless you are getting a lot of punctures, tubeless is probably not the first thing I'd do either because there are few, lightweight, new tubeless compatible 26" rims.

First thing I'd do that would make an obvious improvement in feel would be to get a modern width handlebar 72-80cm wide if your bars are narrower than that. And dial in the rest of the fit if not ideal.

If your fork is terrible, which it probably is, check out the Marzocchi thread below for the new old stock Bomber Z3/
Z4s that have recently become available. If your drivetrain is pretty worn out, it's fairly inexpensive to upgrade to 1x11 or 1x12 (starting with 11T sprocket- see Sunshine cassettes on aliexpress) with a new cassette, rear derailleur, chain, shifter, and narrow-wide chainring in front (removing 2 rings on your current crank).
Thanks for the thorough response it is appreciated

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.