Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have an almost mint 1996 Cannondale F500 in BBQ black color that I am thinking about selling. It has the Headshok MC50 fork. Almost everything is stock except for the rear rim and the pedals. It has been in storage most of its life, but I have also maintained it during that time.

Does anyone know if this is a desirable retro bike?

Any ideas on how much I should sell it for? I’ve checked bicyclebluebook.com and it says it sells for around $200, whereas there is someone selling their 1996 F500 on Ebay for $1200.

Thanks for any help!
Mike.

·
since 4/10/2009
37,079 Posts
the value is whatever someone is willing to pay.

during the pandemic, used bike prices exploded because new bikes were next to impossible to find, and ppl were willing to pay a premium for something that had 2 wheels and rolled. hence the $1200 asking price. at least in some places right now, that is starting to calm down again.

your bike probably isn't worth very much, honestly. it's an old bike. There aren't that many serious bike collectors all told, and most of those are looking for specific things. old Schwinns, old Italian bikes, old British bikes, Campagnolo bits, early historic mountain bikes, and so on. There MIGHT be some Cannondale collectors out there, but your market really won't be collectors. It'll be folks looking for a bike to ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the value is whatever someone is willing to pay.

during the pandemic, used bike prices exploded because new bikes were next to impossible to find, and ppl were willing to pay a premium for something that had 2 wheels and rolled. hence the $1200 asking price. at least in some places right now, that is starting to calm down again.

your bike probably isn't worth very much, honestly. it's an old bike. There aren't that many serious bike collectors all told, and most of those are looking for specific things. old Schwinns, old Italian bikes, old British bikes, Campagnolo bits, early historic mountain bikes, and so on. There MIGHT be some Cannondale collectors out there, but your market really won't be collectors. It'll be folks looking for a bike to ride.
Thanks a lot Harold. That definitely helps! I appreciate your time!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would say you would be lucky to get $200, and you would probably need to have it on Craigslist / Facebook Marketplace for a long while. HOWEVER.. if you are willing to throw a little money into it, vintage MTB gravel conversions are getting pretty hot. Depending on what you have in your parts bin you could probably throw $200-300 into it and sell something like this for closer to $700-800:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say you would be lucky to get $200, and you would probably need to have it on Craigslist / Facebook Marketplace for a long while. HOWEVER.. if you are willing to throw a little money into it, vintage MTB gravel conversions are getting pretty hot. Depending on what you have in your parts bin you could probably throw $200-300 into it and sell something like this for closer to $700-800:
View attachment 1940655
Great! Thanks for the response. I really appreciate all of the info!

·
Registered
680 Posts
View attachment 1940655
Fantastic idea! I think i want to do this to my old hardtail frame!

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
This seems really optimistic to me. I could see adding several hundred dollars to your bike (STI shifters, drop bars, etc), and now your $200 bike is worth maybe $275 or $300.

This could be an fun bike to ride, but I wouldn't recommend doing this to recoup your costs.

View attachment 1940655

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,327 Posts
that ebay bike, ten times overpriced

if he sells it great but man ...one too many marihuanas there

·
Registered
161 Posts
Fantastic idea! I think i want to do this to my old hardtail frame!
I would generally agree with this.. A big caveat for this would be "parts bin"... My guess is he doesnt have much seeing as his bike has been in storage for 15 years without use.... but for many of us we have drop bars, shifters, extra brakes etc... I may have been optimistic with pricing, but I do think he could make an "undesirable" bike (MTB w/ 15 yo tech) into something he could actually sell.

·
ACHOO
4,508 Posts
The other problem is that even if the bike is left unused and pristine, some of the internals can degrade - especially the elastomer in that MC50. Looks like nearly impossible to resurrect given this thread:

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm currently selling my friend's upgraded 1997 Cannondale Super V 900 Comp for him. It's only got like 700 miles on it mostly road. It's worth way more parting it out than trying to sell complete. Bicycle blue book says it's worth $145 dollars.
But.....age is the real enemy if a bike wasn't routinely maintained. Unless it was stored indoors in a climate controlled environment there's going to be dry rotted tires, fork/shock seals. Headset/hubs will have the grease turn to varnish. Exposed aluminum will be oxidized and milky/chalky looking, etc.
To the OP, is your bike actually "Mint" as in someone with experience and a critical eye would say "wow"? If so then $500+ would be pretty easy to get. Just look at all the junk that's been selling on ebay in the last year for crazy money.

If not mint, likey $100-$200.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'm currently selling my friend's upgraded 1997 Cannondale Super V 900 Comp for him. It's only got like 700 miles on it mostly road. It's worth way more parting it out than trying to sell complete. Bicycle blue book says it's worth $145 dollars.
But.....age is the real enemy if a bike wasn't routinely maintained. Unless it was stored indoors in a climate controlled environment there's going to be dry rotted tires, fork/shock seals. Headset/hubs will have the grease turn to varnish. Exposed aluminum will be oxidized and milky/chalky looking, etc.
To the OP, is your bike actually "Mint" as in someone with experience and a critical eye would say "wow"? If so then $500+ would be pretty easy to get. Just look at all the junk that's been selling on ebay in the last year for crazy money.

If not mint, likey $100-$200.
Sell it in Canada and make some $$$$$ (Ridiculous prices.........here!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.