Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is the cause of my worries--I LOVE this frame--bought her new while in school at East Ridge in Chattanooga. I am now able to build her back up with some new components that she badly needs.

Things she doesn't need:
Wheelset: new one on the way
Headset: CK Patriot
Brakes: SD-7 dime stoppers.
Stem/seatpost: Thomson Elite

What she needs:
Everything else.

I'm willing to drop about $1000 to get her back up to racing status (took a brief hiatus to enter the road and ss world). However, I'm worried about these two spots. As you can see in the photos, there is visible rust at these two openings. 1) Is this fairly normal, 2) is there something I can do to fight this, 3) should I be worried about racing on a 10 year-old steel frame that has never lived outdoors but shows rust?

Otherwise, I might have to buy something new in my price range. Obviously, a new frame would save me more than a few grams, but I think this frame is so beautiful (and rare, now) I'd like to avoid that route.

Many thanks, and sorry for the bad pics.

-Dan

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
I'm pretty sure that 990 is a rather stout frame. Worst case, they aren't that hard to come by.

Unless it's cracked, I'd not be too concerned about riding it. Put some frame saver in the frame if you want (not sure if you can get it in that little hole), you should be fine.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
Based on paint condition, and where the rust is, you have no worries, as rumpfy said, it's a stout bugger! More than likely the rust you see is caused by humidity, and is superficial. If you feel like being cheap, just blast some TriFlow in the holes, if you want to spend a feww bucks, get some JP Wiegles Framesaver, stuff works great, and smeels good in that wierd chemically good sort of way! Cheers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.