Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to finish my Fat City... there are a few parts I still need to get. I could use some of your guys' expert advice on the following items:
-Handlebar. I could try to scrounge up a blue or green ano Hyperlite from back in the day (my frame is blue-green fade) but I want something for riding, and not just on Sundays. I would like something in the vein of the Surly steel flat bars, but from the same era as my 1995 Yo Eddy. Does such a beast exist?
-Chainrings. Need 74/110 ramped and pinned ones, aluminum, for my Bullseye cranks. Is there a source for old XTR rings, or Sugino ones?
-Derailleurs. Way back in like 1995 I thought Sachs New Success derailleurs were cool. Are they worth a [email protected]? I have XC-Pro Shimano compatible thumbies.
-Cassette. Is there a source for XTR cassettes anywhere, the ones with the spider? I have XT from the same era, but will end up with very high gearing if I use my 11-28 with a standard drive crank.
Any help from y'all would be GREATLY appreciated!
BTW- what's that other bike in the background? Are you running the Suntour brake thingie on that brake on the bike in the background, or is that some weird linkage brake I have never heard of? Pics, please!
Tim

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
I thought Sachs New Success were cool too. I originally speced them on my IF in 95. I have a Quartz on my cross bike and a New Success on my old stumpy and still like them pretty well.

74/110 rings are easy to find. Maybe not period so much, but plenty are still made since the bolt pattern is the new Road compact standard IIRC. You can still find plenty Real rings on eBay in that pattern too, and those are period correct. Blackspire Pro rings are period correct too and are still available. That was what I speced as the big ring on the IF when I originally built it up.

·
artistic...
7,636 Posts
a titec bontrager titanium flat bar is what everybody rode back then. ti has a good fatigue life expectancy. i am a bit nervous around vintage aluminum.;)
couple that w/ a salsa quill stem and you are dressed to kill.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
Yeah, vintage aluminum makes me nervous too. Finding a NOS blue hyperlite would be cool. I don't recall green being available, just violet, turquoise, black and silver. We speced a lot of the fats we sold with them, but they get pretty pricey on ebay. Right around 95 or so we also started seeing people asking for riser bars too. I originally built my IF with an Answer Alumilite. We sold plenty of Club Roost and Titec risers as well. It would also have been more likely that a 95 Yo! would have been built with a threadless fork, so an ahead style stem. Cross your fingers and see if you can find a Ringle Zooka, which is pretty much what we used on all of the Fats we sold. If not then a Control Tech or even a Kalloy Uno.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
Steel bars would be a bit earlier I think. Salsa and I think Tioga had Tange Prestige bars, both requiring shims. I had a Salsa on my GT Avalanche in 88 or so. Once the Taperlites and Hyperlites came out everybody jumped on that bandwagon. Ti bars started to become popular around then as well. The Titec 118 was popular in that vein. I do recall seeing some Ti bars come back snapped though. They don't respond well to crimping or deep scratches.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I know it is maybe not period correct, but in 1000 years nobody will care it is a year of two/three older. No featherweight alloy bar for me anyway. At least not on a rider.

How about the bar in the background? Syncros Ti. Would not be a bad pick for a Yo.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips, guys. Elevation 12,000- I have the same frame as you, and looks like we have the same goals in terms of color scheme. I don't think I will find a bar of that color and vintage, it is really perfect, but then, I have Bullseye cranks, painted to match the blue fade at the bottom bracket junction.
I do have a Bontrager 120mm steel stem in black, but I think Salsa would be more appropriate.
Time to post in the ''wanted'' section...
Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.