Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
nightriding is fun !
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some trouble with my 1995-6 XTR rear hub (FH-M910). It makes a lot of noise when you stop pedalling or pedal backwards.. Could this be the freewheel ?
I have had a lot of fun and about 15000K's using these hubs and am wondering if those freewheels are still available? I assume their build is differing from current XTR hubs? :confused:

This is the hub

Attachments

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Big Bad Wolf said:
I have some trouble with my 1995-6 XTR rear hub (FH-M910). It makes a lot of noise when you stop pedalling or pedal backwards.. Could this be the freewheel ?
I have had a lot of fun and about 15000K's using these hubs and am wondering if those freewheels are still available? I assume their build is differing from current XTR hubs? :confused:

This is the hub
Sounds like you simply need to replace the freehub body. Any 8/9 speed freehub body will retrofit onto your hub. The big "S" sells LX M565 or XT M737 8 speed bodies which is probably what you need.

They also sell various other 9 speed bodies for the different model years of XT and Deore that would fit as well. When S went from 8 to 9 speed, the freehub body did not change so all S type 8 speed bodies are compatible with 9 speed and vice versa.

One more tidbit if you are retrofitting a different series of bodies on to your hub, try to use the right side bearing cone that goes specifically to the freehub body you buy. In other words, if you buy an XT body, buy a left side XT cone that goes with the model series of freehub body. That will ensure that the cone seals are 100% compatible with the freehub body.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts