Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been lurking the forums for a long time. The wealth of information here has been a big help over the years. Decided it was time for my first post. In addition to seeking answers to my questions, I'm hoping this thread will benefit others and provide me with an opportunity to give back.

The project: Rigid fork base model given to me by one of my mom's neighbors who just wanted it gone ("its either you or the scrappers"). The original wheelset, seatpost, and saddle were stolen many years ago and the frameset sat in the garage ever since. I didn't need another project, but couldn't bear the thought of a Pro-Fit Prestige frame in my size being crushed for scrap.

Along with the missing wheelset and seatpost, both x-ray shifters were broken and the original stem was replaced with a cheap alloy high-rise. Other components need replacing due to age, abuse, or wear.

Planning to reassemble the bike somewhat period-correct, I've gathered up these parts over the past year or so:

1993-vintage wheelset with Mavic M231 rims and Deore DX/XT hubs
30.2 Kalloy seatpost
WTB SST leather saddle
Ritchey CompLite stem
Answer Hyperlite (Easton EA70) flat bar
Answer Hyperends
Grip Shift MRX300 7-speed shifters
Deore XT M733 brake levers
Ritchey 2x9 42t alloy chainring
Generic steel 32t chainring (pinned and ramped)
Shimano HG41 7-speed cassette
SRAM PC68 & PC850 chains
Wellgo WPD-998 alloy pedals

The remaining original LX & XT parts are in good condition. Gonna ride it as a 21-speed. The bike is completely disassembled and I'd like to start rebuilding it within the next couple of days. Hoping to avoid putting much more money into it. See anything in my parts list that could be a problem?

Among my concerns are the rock-hard LX cantilever brake pads. The fronts are offset backwards to provide fork blade clearance. When flipped around to look like conventional offset pads they hit the blades hard when the link wire is released. Any suggestions on replacement pads? Are non-Shimano cartridge inserts available to fit M565 holders?

Any comfort/reach issues when using M733 levers with Grip Shift? Had another question but can't remember it now. I'll get back to it and likely come up with more if this thread finds legs.

Thanks!

·
Phobia of petting zoos.
1,000 Posts
Been lurking the forums for a long time.
Seven years?! About time you popped your head up. :)

I didn't need another project, but couldn't bear the thought of a Pro-Fit Prestige frame in my size being crushed for scrap.
I hear you. At least it's bikes and not cats. Lady up the road from my parents is like that with cats. She's not all there, though.

Among my concerns are the rock-hard LX cantilever brake pads. The fronts are offset backwards to provide fork blade clearance. When flipped around to look like conventional offset pads they hit the blades hard when the link wire is released. Any suggestions on replacement pads? Are non-Shimano cartridge inserts available to fit M565 holders?
When the pads hit the forks, is there enough room to drop the wheel out? If so, I wouldn't be worried about the pads hitting the forks. I've had bikes where the brakes wouldn't open enough to clear a wide tyre, but it wasn't really an issue, I'd just deflate the tyre before removing the wheel (if it wasn't already flat) and install the wheel before inflating.

Kool Stop pads are probably the better bet, though I'm running Ritchey's on one bike without any dramas. Not sure about cartridge inserts but if anyone made them (other than Shimano) then Kool Stop would be the starting point.

Can't help on the lever/shifter compatibility but someone here may be able to help.

Grumps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Grumps. Thanks for replying. Yeah, I wouldn't have dragged an old battle-scarred hardtail home if it had been anything less. Unfortunately, Specialized won't be making any more of them.

Didn't include tyres in my parts list. Got a pair of vintage 1.5" Continental Cross Country tyres as well as a 2.1" Ritchey Z-Max/Motovader combo. Haven't tried mounting either set as I still have some wheel truing to do. The 1.5" might clear conventional brake pads; the 2.1" probably won't. Although the Cross Country tyres have near-new tread they're pretty old. I'll need to inspect them after they're mounted and inflated, then decide if they stay or go.

Kool Stop dual compound Eagle 2 would be my first choice if I wasn't concerned about clearance. I also like their center-stud Cross Pads, but can't justify throwing $50 at a set for a bike I've never ridden. Unlike the Eagle 2, Ritchey salmons have centered studs. They'd be an excellent choice for the LX cantis if I knew where to get 'em.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts