Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Customer restorIng a old gt lts, looking to see if some one has any specs from a way back machine about giving this a service?

Ifp pressure?
Oil viscosity?
Is the ifp pallet servicable?

Any pointers would be appreciated, remember my very first bike back in the day had an old RockShox deluxe on it and it seemed like it wouldn't hold it insides in for more than a month or two after numerous Rock shocks rebuilds, so not sure if this one will also

·
Registered
12,550 Posts
I get about 1 of those a year. Motorex 5wt oil is good, 200psi in the IFP. You need a long and thin hypodermic needle to charge/discharge them. Take out the DU bushing first.
Main lip seal is garbage and was from new. Replace it with an o-ring and you'll have way better sealing. Bleeding them through the shaft works best.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get about 1 of those a year. Motorex 5wt oil is good, 200psi in the IFP. You need a long and thin hypodermic needle to charge/discharge them. Take out the DU bushing first.
Main lip seal is garbage and was from new. Replace it with an o-ring and you'll have way better sealing. Bleeding them through the shaft works best.
What about the pressed in seal head?

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's more like pushed in than pressed in. Depressurise shock, push it down, flick out the retaining ring and tap it apart.

Just like an Ohlins TTX22M really.
It's more like pushed in than pressed in. Depressurise shock, push it down, flick out the retaining ring and tap it apart.

Just like an Ohlins TTX22M really.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Opps forgot to add the message, sorry I had no idea there's a snap ring in there I got the snap ring out and that lower seal and now I seem to be stuck at how this last piece comes out or maybe it doesn't come out?

Is there an ifp in here somewhere?

Is the rubber palette serviceable for the 200psi? Feels so soft

·
Registered
12,550 Posts
Interesting, I've never seen one of the ones without IFP. I have seen ones with the IFP lost after people (who should have known better) opened one before depressurising it!

I had a RS Deluxe back in the day on a 97 Specialized Ground Control AIM. Reliability was terrible so it was my first foray into rear shock rebuilding. I had 5 warranty replacements and 5 rebuilds. First shock flipped it's IFP sideways and dumped air into the oil. The sharp edges would eat o-rings on assembly and once a piece of that got into the rebound port, locking the shock down against 600lb of spring force. Those glide rings were quite fragile and difficult to keep on the piston too. Groove wasn't deep enough.

The Rockshox agents (same ones I deal with today) were very good helping me. But we had brand new replacement shocks arriving in oil soaked boxes, new shocks arriving with no IFP pressure etc. Once I got a good one (coupe deluxe by that point) that held oil and air I was able to tune it to a good result.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting, I've never seen one of the ones without IFP. I have seen ones with the IFP lost after people (who should have known better) opened one before depressurising it!

I had a RS Deluxe back in the day on a 97 Specialized Ground Control AIM. Reliability was terrible so it was my first foray into rear shock rebuilding. I had 5 warranty replacements and 5 rebuilds. First shock flipped it's IFP sideways and dumped air into the oil. The sharp edges would eat o-rings on assembly and once a piece of that got into the rebound port, locking the shock down against 600lb of spring force. Those glide rings were quite fragile and difficult to keep on the piston too. Groove wasn't deep enough.

The Rockshox agents (same ones I deal with today) were very good helping me. But we had brand new replacement shocks arriving in oil soaked boxes, new shocks arriving with no IFP pressure etc. Once I got a good one (coupe deluxe by that point) that held oil and air I was able to tune it to a good result.
Haha sounds like my 97 santa Cruz heckler.

Is there any thing that you know of tips or tricks to improve reliability?

The ifp puck is super soft, has it been oil soaked or like a 50 duro nitrile? 8mm o ring cord work to replace it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.