Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
underachiever
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
some specs

Frame: Rhygin
Fork: Rock Shox Judy XC
Rims: Mavic Crossmax SL (was Mavic 217 SUP in the rear and Araya RM-17 in the front)
Hubs: Mavic Crossmax SL (was Hershey titanium in the rear and Shimano XT in the front)
Quick Release: Mavic (was Salsa titanium in Rasta color scheme)
Tires: Michelin Mountain A.T. tubeless tires
Pedals: Shimano XTR (was Shimano XT)
Crank: Crank Brothers Cobalt SL (was Cook Brothers Racing RSR w/Kooka rings)
Chain: SRAM
Rear Cogs: Shimano Dura Ace (no idea what was on there prior; possibly Shimano XT)
Bottom Bracket: Crank Brothers Cobalt titanium (was TNT titanium)
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR (was Shimano XT)
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X-0 (was Shimano XT)
Shifters: SRAM X-0 (was Grip Shift X-Ray)
Handlebars: Seven Cycles titanium (was Bontrager Titec 118 titanium)
Bar ends: Gone, daddy, gone (was Fat Bottom titanium)
Grips: Grip Shift
Stem: Ibis titanium (was Control Tech)
Headset: Chris King 2NUT
Brake set: Shimano XTR (was Shimano LX)
Brake levers: Kooka Racha
Saddle: Sella Italia SLR (was Sella Italia Flite)
Seat Post: Moots Cinch titanium (was Syncros titanium)
Paint: Rasta
Size: 18"
Weight: 21.5 pounds (was 21 pounds)
Serial #: I can't see it through the paint.
Place of Origin: Somerville, MA

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
I love it. Well, not the paint so much, but I really would love to get a Rhygin so I can really bump up my current east of the mississippi bike theme.

·
1,529 Posts
Nice! Awesome build. Did Rhygin spec the Dont Tread on Me stickers too?

Those Somerville Mafia guys...

·
artistic...
7,602 Posts
my new favourite bike on this forum.

awesome.

aggressive. classy. fat.

·
underachiever
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
colker1 said:
my new favourite bike on this forum.

awesome.

aggressive. classy. fat.
one Rhygin Ra: an arm
replacing most of the parts after a decade filled with lots of memorable rides: an arm and a leg
being told your bike is aggressive, classy and fat: priceless :)

it's my favorite, too! ;) though my recently acquired Fat Chance Yo Eddy is working its way up the ranks...

·
underachiever
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ameybrook said:
Nice! Awesome build. Did Rhygin spec the Dont Tread on Me stickers too?

Those Somerville Mafia guys...
nope. I bought a Yo Eddy sticker sheet from Rody and slapped it on. :thumbsup:

·
underachiever
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
IF52 said:
I love it. Well, not the paint so much, but I really would love to get a Rhygin so I can really bump up my current east of the mississippi bike theme.
the paint took some used to getting used to, as I like solid colors better. obviously, he (Christian Jones) painted these in the Jamaican flag for a reason, though I've seen only a couple others in solid red. the paint is actually still in excellent condition.

maybe at some point I'll go west of the Mississippi (got my eye on a 1992 Ibis Xtra Mojo). all my bikes are local, which I really like (Independent Fabrication, Fat Chance, Ted Wojcik). :thumbsup:

·
underachiever
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rumpfy said:
Its like you downgraded almost the whole bike!
I keed, I keed!
Looks race ready now. :)
well, it's funny you mention the downgrading (yes, I know you're kidding!), because there were so many parts on it that were made by small, independent manufacturers that I really liked. companies like Hershey, Cook Brothers Racing, Kooka, Fat Bottom and TNT are gone and Syncros, Bontrager and Control Tech aren't the same as they were way back then.

it wasn't as much fun doing the rebuild as it was acquiring the parts back in the early 1990s. it would have been nice to do this as close to period correctness, but I don't have the patience like many of you. plus, considering this was purchased as a frame, I feel less compelled to go with the vintage. my newly acquired 1992 Fat Chance Yo Eddy will stay exactly as it was built, though. :thumbsup:

although, I was super psyched to get the 1992 Ibis titanium stem and the XTR cantilevers. considering I just picked up the Yo Eddy, that'll be my bike that I keep period correct (even though that was also purchased as frame/fork). the Kooka levers will also never, ever come off this bike. :cool:

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
misterdangerpants said:
maybe at some point I'll go west of the Mississippi (got my eye on a 1992 Ibis Xtra Mojo). all my bikes are local, which I really like (Independent Fabrication, Fat Chance, Ted Wojcik). :thumbsup:
You still have plenty more eastern bikes to add to your collection before you head west, same as me. I've got IF, Fat, BREW and Litespeed sorted. Now to track down Rhygin, Nevil, Grove, EWR, Merlin, Wojcik....

I'd love to find an intact Nevil Devil that is large enough for me to ride.

Oh my poor wallet ;)

·
1,529 Posts
IF52 said:
You still have plenty more eastern bikes to add to your collection before you head west, same as me. I've got IF, Fat, BREW and Litespeed sorted. Now to track down Rhygin, Nevil, Grove, EWR, Merlin, Wojcik....

Oh my poor wallet ;)
Need yourself a Darkside

·
underachiever
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Slimpee said:
I really dig that...except for the XO. It looks funny to me.
well, I wanted Shimano XTR, but Grip Shift X-0 doesn't play well with anything except SRAM. the old Grip Shift X-Rays were great (and worked with Shimano), but the housing was cracked and I had to replace them.

·
underachiever
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
IF52 said:

Oh my poor wallet ;)
yes, my poor wallet. it's a little light these days. in addition to updated the Rhygin and purchasing the Yo Eddy, I just had an two IFs built. I am my own worst enemy.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts