Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
1,529 Posts
You got the year right. 92 Specialized S-Works Epic Ultimate. Titanium lugs w carbon tubes. Although its essentially the matching fork, that frame was never sold with it...it came with a steel Direct Drive.

IIRC, one of 60 made. Very cool. Decal somewhere should tell which one.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
yep, only 60 made. the guy who put those 60 together at the specialized house now owns a bike shop locally and, IIRC, used to work with SSMike at Pacific Coast Cycles.
Are you referring to the final edition ones? That's definitely the case with them, but the previous versions were made in larger numbers, but still very limited....

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
If it has an FSX fork and 1 1/8 inch headset, I believe it's a 93...am I wrong? That fork was an s-works product and was released the year before the Judys hit the market, wasn't it? Either 93 or 94, anyhow.

It should be hidden in the serial #

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The frame does not have the little plate on it that says # of 60. The serial number is SW617 or something like that. I am not at work so I cant check it.

This frame may be on EBAY in January. But it also may not.

The fork is 1" threadless and has all Ti hardware. The brake arch and other small parts appear to be Ti as well. I was told that the crown is special because it does not have much drop to allow the use of a suspension fork on a non suspension corrected frame. The Stem is a Specialized Ti. The original fork was a threaded steel.

The seatpost is the original.

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
I believe all Specialized bikes that came with suspension forks were also equipped with 1 1/8 inch head tubes. If it has a 1 inch head tube, then the frame was built for a rigid fork...if I remember my Specialized stuff properly.

They resisted oversized headsets for a long time, but switched when they started adding suspension forks to their bikes...

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,767 Posts
Nope

The limited edition was the final year..95 or 96 I think. There is a little badge on the toptube of those bikes with the # on it.

For what its worth: when I bought the first S-Works Ultimate I owned I was told that they made ~200 of them a year.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
yeah, is that not what this one is?
What Shayne said. It does have the same appearance, but no little badge. As always, a pic is worth many words.....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.