Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'nother one with new pictures via Wes Stearns @ Artist Eye photography. This always seemed to me to be one of the more successful early full suspension bikes and doesn't look too terribly dated even today.

More pics and details @ https://mombat.org/MOMBAT/Bikes/1992_Mtn_Cycle_San.html

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Cool. Of course I'm biased... LOL
Maybe if you're lucky, Robert Reisinger will stop by and make a comment. He sometimes haunts MTBR.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
I know they offered them as a frame alone, but I still think they look WRONG assembled up with cantilevers and a skinny little mag fork.

·
defender of bad taste
1,600 Posts
Those early ones were a good way to lose riding buddies - sounded like a shopping cart full of scrap metal on bumpy descents.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,770 Posts
Those early ones were a good way to lose riding buddies - sounded like a shopping cart full of scrap metal on bumpy descents.
Ha,ha, so true I remember being at the Norba Nationals in Big Bear In 93'. Standing ten feet off the trail of the down hill races. It sounded just as you described as one of those went by. I was talking to a racer down below and he offered me a test ride on one. I took him up on it and took a 30 minute spin around the lower trails. Nice ride for it's time and definately the most exotic at the time.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Weird, my 03-06 San An was dead quiet.
They came with discs as an option, but they were offered as rim brake equipped as well.
The discs came about, mostly because of the inverted forks. You couldn't run rim brakes on the inverted forks.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,325 Posts

·
defender of bad taste
1,600 Posts
Weird, my 03-06 San An was dead quiet.
They came with discs as an option, but they were offered as rim brake equipped as well.
The discs came about, mostly because of the inverted forks. You couldn't run rim brakes on the inverted forks.
Actually, it has been done: (Mombat pic)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one with serial no 10528.. built up with mags and xt. In fact almost identical to that one in the pics. It rides amazingly well for such an early full susser and climbs better than my 2010 rumblefish! The rear elastomer is still in good working condition.. but hell it is noisy on the downhills lol

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,770 Posts
Is it true that this design was started after the 2 partners had a falling out at Crosstrac?
It seems like it would be an easy fix to throw a "real" shock on the back and have decent ride. Can and has it been done?

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
Mine sounded like a D6 Caterpillar dragging a skate sharpening machine behind it, you never needed bear bells or a pedestrian warning device. But at least there was no chain slap. They were a bit bouncy with the urethane suspension. And the ProStop1 brakes needed to be bled about once every two months, but with a 9" front and 8" rear brake, there was lots of stopping power.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts