Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 Rascal, came with a Manitou fork - the fork is comprised of 3 small rubber balls inside each fork (my how technology has changed). I want to upgrade to a modern day fork, but someone told me the fork is not "threaded." Not being mechanically inclined, he said it would be hard to find a modern fork that will fit the Klein Rascal (HT).

Can someone please clarify and make recommendations?

Thanks.

:thumbsup:

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
meiwah98 said:
I have a 1992 Rascal, came with a Manitou fork - the fork is comprised of 3 small rubber balls inside each fork (my how technology has changed). I want to upgrade to a modern day fork, but someone told me the fork is not "threaded." Not being mechanically inclined, he said it would be hard to find a modern fork that will fit the Klein Rascal (HT).

Thanks.

Find and go back to the original rigid fork. That's what I'd do.

You can find a suitable replacement, but most likely you'll have to get a threadless headset and stem to go with the threadless fork...

You'll need a 1" fork which are highly saught after if it's a decent fork SID's, Judy's, Zocchi's...they're out there, but you need to keep a sharp eye out for them.

You could try and find replacement internals for the fork you have. There are some coil conversion kits out there for those forks, but they're also hard to find.

Also want to keep in mind throwing off the geometry of the bike some with longer travel forks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Wow, I never thought about going back to a rigid fork; sounds so "old school!" Are there any companies making threadless suspension forks right now that you know of? Or do I have to find a used one?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
meiwah98 said:
Thanks for the suggestions. Wow, I never thought about going back to a rigid fork; sounds so "old school!" Are there any companies making threadless suspension forks right now that you know of? Or do I have to find a used one?
It'd be just as easy to find a used one I think....and way cheaper.

If you wanted new, you'd have to specify non suspension corrected.
There are quite a few companies out there that will make a nice rigid fork for you...but you're looking at at least several hundred bucks.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
meiwah98 said:

Thanks.

Here's your fork:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/183947687.html

·
Registered
834 Posts
meiwah98 said:
Click the link below. Just like Rumpfy said, you also have to buy a 1" threadless stem and 1" aheadset, spacers, star nut & cap. However this will jack up the front end and slacken the angles which you may :sad: or may not :???: notice.

http://www.phattire.com/20marmxcomsu.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.