Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't resist posting this one. I have had several Bontragers in the past including a 96 Race Lite, 97 Ti-Lite, and most recently a 96 Bontrager Privateer S. which I sold to get some cash to cover some expenses during my prolonged unemployment. As fate would have it I got a job right after I sold the Privateer. It was a really clean bike, and I am glad the guy I sold it to got it.

I immediately began looking for another Bontrager and stumbled onto this 1991 OR on Craigslist. It also ended-up on the FS ads in MTBR as well. Really had to navigate through some uncertain waters and was totally unsure at times if the bike would make it into my possession in Missouri. Not a lot of earlier Bontrager OR info out there either. Luckily for me the seller was a great guy to deal with though which ultimately made it possible to negotiate the deal in the end. I also got some excellent guidance from a couple of members of this forum so my thanks to you guys you know who you are!

Anyway, the bike arrived last week and although its definiteley not a creme puff, its in decent shape and like all of my bikes it will be a rider. One bonus item that I was not expecting was the Bontrager/Race Face one piece stem/bar and an early CK headset. I have already talked with Gil on retrobike about a set of new decals for the bike, and a matching set of skinwall tires would also be nice. I know I am a bike whore that goes through a lot of bikes, but based on short rides this one really handles and looks right and should last me awhile I think.

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
the old owner really liked it, surprised he let it go. those rims have always kinda looked out of place to me on that bike(if you're reading this, sorry dude. but its true)

what color 'cals?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hollister said:
the old owner really liked it, surprised he let it go. those rims have always kinda looked out of place to me on that bike(if you're reading this, sorry dude. but its true)

what color 'cals?
Yeah, those wheels are an odd tint. The rims seem newer, but they are laced to older vintage nuke proof hubs. The wheelset was not the draw as the early version nuke proof hubs don't have a great track record as far as reliability. I had a set of black 730xt hubs laced to black rm 20 rims which would have been a good match for the bike. It needs a decent ssm bontrager saddle too.

I was able to find some pics of another 1991 OR in the same color with what I think are the stock colored decals which are white black and yellow. There are lots of pics and pdf brochures of bontragers from 1994 on, but not much I can find on earlier OR' s. You were right about all the little details though, like the pump peg under the wishbone, and the bonded and riveted cable guides. The frame is really a lot different size wise too. Normally I prefer a large bontrager frame, but the older 18" frame has a longer top tube I think. Cool stuff for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts