Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm replacing a 1990's Stumpjumper threadless stem, with a shorter stem from Velo Orange. I measured the old handlebar diameter and old stem as 1 inch, however, I accidentally ordered a 26mm not a 25.4mm stem. After realizing this, I ordered shims to go from 25.4 to 26mm. I installed the stem without the shims and it seems to fit the bar tightly. Should I still use the shims?

This is the first time I've swapped out a stem, so I'm seeking some advise. I kept the handlebars the same, which are marked Specialized and look to be original to the bike. The stem that I am replacing is a longer vintage looker Tioga. Thanks in advance!

Blue Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Metal Azure
Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Metal Steel

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another question. Is it possible the old stem covered more at the base of the headset? I know I ordered the right diameter stem to fit the steerer tube, but there appears to be more of a grease ring visible at the top of the headset. See photo, with pencil pointing to ring in question. If so, is there a part that will cover this area better? Yellow Metal Close-up Bicycle wheel rim Steel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.