Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paul had sen this to us after the 2005 Cackalacky Cup and we had displayed it with the parts that he sent. Finally decided to build it up with some reasonably correct parts.

More details at https://mombat.org/1990_Specialized_Epic_PTB.htm

Serial number is PT 026....kinda cool.

·
Registered
618 Posts
U-Brake in 1990?

The lower line Stumpjumpers last came with evil mudcatching chainstay mounted u-brakes in either 1988 or 89. I didn't know that they kept them on the Epics until 1990. They did have good stopping power, but.... did I mention they were evil mudcatching hard to maintain chain eating nightmares?

Ok, ok, calm down. It does surprise me that Specialized kept them on the Epic for 1990 when most bikes (including all the other Stumpjumpers) had moved on to seatstay mounted canti's. Maybe they were something that Ned and Paul really liked? It probably helps when you have a team mechanic wrenching on your bike and can always afford fresh chains, cogs and chainrings.

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
The chainstay brake was due to the chromoly chainstay tubes coming out of the BB shell, extending back to the brake, then the carbon seat stays start after the brake mount.

This made it so Specialized could run full carbon seat stays without worrying about mounting canti mounts on the carbon.

rb

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fillet-brazed said:
No XT pedals in the parts bin??
Unfortunately, no XT pedals laying about. It always seems like correct seats and pedals are tough to find. I suppose they wore out and got upgraded more frequently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.