Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I picked up a fairly complete blizzard the other day knowing that it had quite serious frame damage but figuring the original xt parts present justified the cost and I can upgrade my 1990 hammer with them.

Ideally I would put it back together and ride it being originally a very nice frame. However, I'm not sure whether this frame damage would ever be worth it to fix, or if it could be rolled out cheaply and still be safe. The amount of rust is also concerning.

I am looking for opinions, should I feel bad about stripping it for parts? I was thinking maybe I could give the frame away free to someone capable of replacing the whole tube.

Here are some pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good point, even if it were to be repaired it would not be original and worth significantly less. Meaning if anyone should put anything into this frame it should be time, not money. I guess if there's no cracks under the rust I could take it to a local framebuilder (here on vancouver island) and see what they say. Thank you for the opinion.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you need a second opinion reach out to Gene Spicer at spicercycles.com, from what I have seen on his feed he has dealt with worse and his prices are more than fair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did some sanding this afternoon, there are no cracks around the dents but the rust has started to pit. I do have rust converter to possibly keep it at bay.

Some more pictures, any updated opinions are welcome.

If this frame is junk I'm not too worried, this is my other rocky mountain, which for some reason won't upload upright.

From reading other opinions on the internet it seems like there is an opinion that steel frames will not catastrophically fail but will instead begin to creak and feel funny before failing completely. I'm leaning towards putting it back together as cheaply as possible and using it around the city to see how a tange prestige frame rides and whether I should keep an eye out for a similar frame in better condition. I should mention I only weigh ~130 lbs and don't do much in the way of high impact riding so it's a bit less sketchy than other scenarios.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts