Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 20 faithful years, it's time to change up the color of the Klein Rascal I bought as a sophomore in college. I have the pink-fades-to-black frame and I'm in the process of disassembling the bike to get it powder-coated - haven't decided on a color yet.

I'm also still undecided on whether or not to try and replicate the decals on the bike (the "KLEIN" on the downtube, the "RASCAL" on the top tube. Finding the "Made in U.S.A." decal is probably impossible.

Just looking for thoughts. Right now, I'm leaning towards an "orange" color, but I'm open to suggestions. I have a set of the Rock Shox SID 4 (blue) on the bike. XT cranks, XT hubs, Mavic wheels, IRD seat post, SRAM composite levers.

I almost hate to paint over such a good paint job, but after this long, it's time.

Thanks,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should also mention, I'm not that big on making sure people know it's a "Klein". So the decal issue isn't a huge deal. I'm not sure where I would even get the original decals and how I would go about getting them on. Probably would need clear-coat at the very least.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Kleins are known for their paint jobs. If your paint is in good condition, then removing it will decrease the value of your bike. If the paint is beat, then no big deal.

Photos are very appreciated here.

And pink is cool man. Seriously.

·
Registered
30 Posts
djmuff said:
Kleins are known for their paint jobs. If your paint is in good condition, then removing it will decrease the value of your bike. If the paint is beat, then no big deal.
what he said. side note, repo decals can be found on ebay, also look on retrobike.co.uk for a user called gil_m, he can replicate almost everything.

·
He be a moose too.
2,164 Posts
What the others said. Think real hard about replacing the paint. How bad is it? It isn't about letting others know you have a Klein, it's about keeping it original. If that isn't important to you (and it must mean something to you or else why are you riding a 20 y.o. bike), keep the paint. Once it's gone, it's gone. Why not post a pic to see how bad it is, this group is very visually oriented.

Getting an original Made-in-USA sticker is rare and expensive, a repro-not so much. Again, if you are even thinking about this sticker, originality must mean something.

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
A blue sid gives you a lot of color choices and I agree that orange would look really cool, maybe with a couple white Klein decals. And it sounds like you have owned and enjoyed this bike long enough that you aren't so concerned with it's resale value or vintage appeal, so I think it would be perfectly reasonable to repaint it. Be sure to post pictures as well!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mmmm.....mixed opinions, I love it! Thanks for the input everyone. I'm less concerned with "value" of the bike, since I don't plan on parting with it. I have enjoyed the unique original color. I'll post a few pics. The paint is in pretty decent shape. It does have a small dent on the top tube (from when it was about 1 year old) that I planned on getting fixed with the powder coat job. Tough decision.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Picture

This picture almost makes it look orange!! Trust me, it's pink (or magenta or whatever Klein called it back in 1990).

1 - 20 of 78 Posts