Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 Klein Attitude that I am considering selling. It is a one of a kind Klein custom pearl white paint job, and was built up from a bare frame in 1990. It still has the original fork and Mission control handlebar/stem, painted to match the frame. It's got black and white Bullseye hubs and Matrix rims, Bullseye cranks, American Classic seatpost and all Suntour XC shifters and brakes, all of it vintage 90's. The bike has essentially been packed away since new, and is all in showroom condition. My questions are;
a) Am I better off selling it whole, or as a frame set?
b) Is Ebay the place to go with it, or...?
c) ...and lastly, the hard question, what kind of range ($) might I expect for it?

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,733 Posts
Parting it out will get you FAR more cash

None of that is an original build anyway. The 1990 Attitude was available anyway you want it as long as it is built with an XT groupo.

I'd say the frame would fetch $4-500 and the parts probably about the same. I doubt you could get $1K for the complete bike.

Also how do you put Bullseye cranks on a 1990 Attitude frame? Custom machined cups?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shayne Also how do you put Bullseye cranks on a 1990 Attitude frame? Custom machined cups?[/QUOTE said:
Bullseye made press in cups just for Kleins. I would consider using the Bullseye cranks on a new frame if I parted it out, but I have no idea where I would find replacement Bullseye thread-in cup these days.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Shayne said:
None of that is an original build anyway. The 1990 Attitude was available anyway you want it as long as it is built with an XT groupo.

I'd say the frame would fetch $4-500 and the parts probably about the same. I doubt you could get $1K for the complete bike.

Also how do you put Bullseye cranks on a 1990 Attitude frame? Custom machined cups?
My catalog shows three build options. I cant beleive that Campy build is a quarter pound lighter than the XT! Maybe thats a "marketing typo" to justify the $400 higher price. The catalog doesnt say waht the parts are on the superlight build. But ya, Ive only seen the XT built models. I did sell one in near mint condition for I think $1500 or $1700 I cant remember. But ebay kinda goes in waves it seems. When attitudes were hot and selling for that much on ebay everybody started selling theirs and the market went a little soft. Who knows. Ebay can be unpredictable, you might get $6-700 or you might get maybe $1500ish...

If its all mint I think it would be a toss up as to parting it out or selling it built. Usually parting out will get you the most money but a full mint vintage bike is hard to come by and hard and expensive to build.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fillet-brazed said:
My catalog shows three build options. I cant beleive that Campy build is a quarter pound lighter than the XT! Maybe thats a "marketing typo" to justify the $400 higher price. The catalog doesnt say waht the parts are on the superlight build. But ya, Ive only seen the XT built models. I did sell one in near mint condition for I think $1500 or $1700 I cant remember. But ebay kinda goes in waves it seems. When attitudes were hot and selling for that much on ebay everybody started selling theirs and the market went a little soft. Who knows. Ebay can be unpredictable, you might get $6-700 or you might get maybe $1500ish...

If its all mint I think it would be a toss up as to parting it out or selling it built. Usually parting out will get you the most money but a full mint vintage bike is hard to come by and hard and expensive to build.
I imagine that it might make a difference that this is all mint, but it is NOT a Klein build up. These are not all parts that were offered by Klein, but it actually came out lighter than any of the Klein built options. I've been keeping an eye on Ebay to see what's happening. It's kind of hard to tell how it might go.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,733 Posts
Klein Ultra-light Build

This is a mix of Suntour, Campy, and other stuff: XC-pro derailleurs pedals and crank, Dia-Compe levers and brakes, Hi-E hubs, Campy rims and alloy freewheel, Ritchey post...and Grip Shift...when it was foamy and neon!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts