Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Looking for an Ultimate
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought this might be appreciated here....a Cannondale SM1000 from 1990 that has surfaced in this condition after the best part of 20 years stashed away in a cellar. All I have done with this is throw on a Ti Syncros post and a Flite (yeah I know they are not correct but it's all I had laying around).

It's has obviously done a few miles but is in amazing condition, this is the bike 'as is' and has had no cleaning whatsoever.....the condition is neat don't you think?

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
very nice. we sold cdale then and I always thought that was one of their nicest looking offerings.

If you ever want to sell those tires... :)

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,286 Posts
Wow, nice find! One of the first "nnice" bikes I was allowed to build at a new job. Mine was Tan though...

Too bad someone rode it in the salt once or twice, but they took really nivce care of it otherwise. Have fun with it, but watch out for that giant purple toad, he looks kinda hungry. :D

·
Registered
725 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
Yeah, I know! Those tires look amazingly fresh.

Nice find! Now go ride it. After swapping on some newer and less hard-to-find tires, of course.

·
Looking for an Ultimate
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fillet-brazed said:
:D I figured they would attract some attention.....it's funny when you give up looking for stuff it sometimes presents itself to you on a plate....they are nice, no cracks or perished stuff ;)

·
Looking for an Ultimate
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Inigo Montoya said:
its from 1991.
super nice find!
1990 serial number, 1991 paint dude ;)

My other Cannondale is similar ('92 frame in '93 paint)

·
Thumbs Up!
759 Posts
nice :thumbsup: Is that your only classic bike with PA roots?

·
Looking for an Ultimate
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
J Ro said:
nice :thumbsup: Is that your only classic bike with PA roots?
:D Ha ha Jeff......Ssshhhhh you'll blow my next project ;)

currently I have two Cannondales, this and a '92.....then there's some West Coast alu, some BC alu...and some Brit stuff that wouldn't cut it here....there might be something else on the horizon though ;)

·
Drinking the Slick_Juice
1,809 Posts
oh no its hypno toad. all hail hypno toad

·
Exaggerated member
351 Posts
Must be hard up if you have a Syncros Ti seatpost just lying around! Jeeeezz... ;)

Very clean bike too. I like the mix of Suntour XC Pro, XC Comp and the Ritchey Logic brakes. Nice subtle shift of detail there and the DKG brake booster completes it nicely. Minimal wear (and brake pad residue) on the rim walls too.

For all the derision the more mass produced bikes attract on this forum, really clean examples like this one deserve a round of applause. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Lovely Cannondale!
I drooled after one which was at my LBS in 1991. However, my LBS' owner hated the Suntour stuff and talked me over to buy a Shimano kitted bike instead.
I loved the color and bought the 1992 M700 which had the similar paintjob.

·
artistic...
7,594 Posts
that fork is a bit .... harsh. a mag 21 there would be sooo good.

·
Looking for an Ultimate
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
colker1 said:
that fork is a bit .... harsh. a mag 21 there would be sooo good.
A Mag 21 on a 1990 bike would be a bit wrong, this is as it left the showroom apart from the saddle/post so the Peppers are cool with me (but yeah a harsh ride :D )

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Nice condition. Even though I ended up breaking two of those(a 1000 and a 2000), I still fondly remember the days of riding those up in the Cable WI area, and Colorado's Ft. Range.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It may have been made in 1990 but

It's a 1991 model year. This pic is from the 91 catalog. I like it. Very nice. I have an 89 Bridgestone MB-3 all original.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts