Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with the new SRAM triggers arriving i thought i give my old and trusty XT STIs an overhaul.

they weighed 255g when new
removing the gear display already saved 23g
2 Al bolts another 2g
now i shaved the clamp and stripped the levers from the covering rubbers (-9g) and the result isn't that bad: 198g. i still have to work on the finish but some further polishing will do the job.

that's not too far away from the latest SRAM XOs if i'm not completely wrong. anyway - they still shift perfectly smooth after almost 3 years of use.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
drilling

Hi Nino,

you could also drill some holes through the thumb shifters.
I've recently raced my shifters like this and it was no problem at all.
I think I used a 5mm drill. (see pics below - and please ignore
the ugly SRAM-Lever, I've just exchanged it for an Extralite)

I think I'm going to shave the clamp like you guys did.
Looks awesome!

Roger G

P.S.: WOAH! That image is big! Sorry, folks.

Attachments

·
A little of everything
478 Posts
Great job Ty. The white paint makes it very cool looking. Reminds me a bit about Starwars. wasn't there a way to cover the hole before you had it painted? Did you have to fully disassemble the shifter to have it painted or how did you do it?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Anders said:
Great job Ty. The white paint makes it very cool looking. Reminds me a bit about Starwars.
Cheers !

I think the paint was called 'stormtrooper white' ;)

Anders said:
wasn't there a way to cover the hole before you had it painted? Did you have to fully disassemble the shifter to have it painted or how did you do it?
I took the whole shifter apart (it is just three little screws, very simple to take apart).

I might take it apart again and fill the hole with 'Chemical metal' (filler, sets like metal) and sand it smooth.

Also the inside on the XT shifter looks to be very over engineered to me, if you have the time and the patience I am sure you could easily remove another 10g - 15g (?) there are many steel bits and areas that would handle a hole or two.

Ty

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.