Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yee-haw! Another project to play with (once I have time, yeesh).

I picked this Ritchey Timber Comp frame and fork on eBay for what was (possibly) a good price. The pictures (below) were a bit sketchy, and whoever had it before the seller apparently took a bench grinder to the spindle. I waited with some trepidation.

A big box arrived today.

The good:
--I gave detailed packing instructions to the seller and it was very conscientiously packed
--I totally dig the double down tube bottle mounts.
--there's some patina, scrapes and scratches, some chain slap but not much suck, but despite all that, the paint is quite nice overall, and the decals are for the most part in great shape (the "Timber" has been mostly felled...)

The uber good:
--the package included a heavily swept steel bar and a fillet brazed stem with a nice rise to it! I had been thinking about what route I'd go with the bar/stem, so this was a seriously nice thing to find in the box :thumbsup:

The issues:
--the frame is DIRTY and DINGY and has got some surface rust at the inside top of the seat tube but looks to be in really nice shape overall. Should polish/clean up well.
--the BB spindle luckily didn't impact anything else, and I've got a proper replacement.
--the Shimano 600 headset is gunky. I might swap it for a DA 7400.
--One dent: there is a dent on the back left seat stay, above the dropout. Might prove to be some alignment issues, but it looks pretty okay so far. It'll be easier to tell if something is off kilter with wheels in it.

No phone with me today, so no pics of the bike as arrived (or the bar+stem), but here are the auction shots. Hopefully they can inspire some fifteen year old to start searching!

The build plan:

I've got some parts kicking around from an '85 Mtn Klein that will end up here. Namely, I think I'll pull the wheelset off my Mt Tam and use it here---

Stuff I've got:
--DA hubs and highly polished RM20s, TimbukII's
--DA 7400 headset
--XT M730 black cranks with Biopace rings (some rub/fading but look pretty nice, and the rings are nearly unused)
--XT loose ball BB
--Suntour XCII bear traps
--black XT 732 cantis in front and a 730 U in back

I've got a couple saddles and posts that'll fit, but what I don't have any longer are 4 finger XT levers or 6 speed shifters. I might use 2 finger levers and 7 speed units on friction until I find some since I have a mess of those...... Hmm, the rubberized XC Pro levers would look pretty sweet too....I'm also thinking I should have held onto the HiteRite's I've sold over the past couple months!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Awesome! I saw that on ebay and was seriously considering it, glad I get to see it with better pictures. I'm looking forward to the build!

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Uh-oh. Anyone know anything about repairing fillet brazed frame/alignment?
This is going to be a bigger project than I first suspected......

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome--thanks for any info!
Here come a slew of pics. The dents above the left rear drop out are the epicenter. The left seat stay looks a little bent at the lower end of it. The result is that the rear wheel is off center.

Right side:

Left side:

From behind:

You can see the bend/dent above the drop out.

I am feeling like this is a project worth sorting out. Here's a couple extra shots:

The double expander stem is cooooool.

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
a few pieces of angle iron, a ratcheting strap wrench, some elbow grease, a flat table, and a lot of measuring

it'll help if you have access to a frame alignment stand

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
yo-Nate-y said:
The dents above the left rear drop out are the epicenter. The left seat stay looks a little bent at the lower end of it. The result is that the rear wheel is off center.
you can see the bend/dent above the drop out.
Cool bike, lots of potential....

I got clipped by a car years ago, it made a left turn right into me. I almost cleared it, but the front bumper (back when cars big steel bumpers) hit the seat stay and my frame looked just liked that!! :eek:

Just mine was bent on the other side......

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sweet--got the frozen bb out!
And it looks like a helpful local builder is going to help this frame get saved.

...while I'm at it I'll get a headtube replacement so I can run some modern forks. Why ruin the ride with some outdated Mag 21s? Ya know?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.