Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
from the MBAction Dec.1988 issue.... I'm also enclosing a few pic's of the "concept" bike in my final post..
FYI: I will also be posting the articles on the other 3 bikes in the "boxes" on the cover photo. You'll have to bear with me as to when I actually do post them-- these things take alot of time to do 1/2 way decently..

Attachments

·
Registered
995 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
The article states that the rear end felt sluggish, probably due to the "slack seat angle". &3 degrees is slack? :rolleyes: And look at those top tube measurements! Way short! 19" for a 18" frame, and 21" for the 20" frame. Wow!
Hehe. Good call. I know I was just crabbing about the fluff quotient, but one of the things that I did when I was just getting into frame design was, I went through and compiled every bike test from every issue of every mag I could get my hands on. Back issues and all. Compiled all the ride geometries, along with the opinions of the "testers", in an effort to hone in on the ultimate magazine-preferred geometry. The opinions were completely all over the map, even between duplicate geometries. Obviously there's some potential for variance resulting from saddle/stem positioning, but the bigger potential comes from different test riders on every test, each with different bodily proportions, making the geom review totally arbitrary. For non-custom frames, there's little reason to even talk about it without bringing Front Center, & Trail dimensions into the ring. But for whatever reason, they won't get into that, like they won't size a bike by teh more critical TT length... sorry, was in the mood for a little chianti I suppose.

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Mx-z

There was a shop in Provo back when I was in College that had an MX-Z that no-one wanted. It sat there with it's granite finish longing for me to take it home. Unfortunately, I lived on less than $400 a month and had to settle for visiting her several times a month for nearly 2 years. Anyway, I wish I could find that poor unwanted soul again, if only to hang on my wall rather than that cold grey column in the middle of the shop.

mc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts