Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to put some nicer rims on it, but found out that my original Mt. bike was a 6 speed.... 130mm drop width, right?

Anyway, at this point it looks like I need a 18T bmx freewheel and a 36T chainring for the Sugino Crank. I can run a retired 8spd chain, right ?

Any recommendations on the freewheel or the chainring setup ? or anything else in general that I should be aware of ?

The stem is a goofy looking quill that holds the cable for the canti brakes.... recommendations??? should I use a quill adapter ??

Thanks,

JK

ps.... the dropouts are semi horizontal, but I did do the calcs to determine that a 36 x 18 would give me the best fit without a tensioner. Assuming the gear inch feels right....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an '80's Stimpjumper, 1in. threaded headtude, also have the canti quill. You can see a pic of it in the Photo gallery in the SS section. I am using XT v-brakes, 8 speed chain, no tensioner. I just got a back wheel from a friend with an 18t freewheel that I haven't mounted yet. I'll let you know how the chain line ends up. Post some pictures.

kef

·
Registered
83 Posts
no tensioner?

Kef,

what gear ratio have you found to set this up with no tensioner (or is there some other invisisble trick?)

am turning my specialized s works back into a singlespeed.....

matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.