Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Old School
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a little project that's been maturing for ever.

I've had the frame sitting around for several years. If you dig deep enough in this forum, you'll find the original pics of the frame when it was offered up for purchase.

This project grew out of my interested in Ritchey Commandos, Dirt Drop mountain bikes, and the ride quality of the Tom Teesdale fillet brazed Fisher Mt Tam.

This winter it finally came together.

Here it is:

Already a "well loved" machine

Stripped raw and beautiful

A few choice parts

Paint by Rick at D & D in San Leandro CA

A 1" LD reproduction stem by Joel at Clockwork with a Nitto column.

Shake down ride

It rides fantastic. Fun project. Really happy with the end result.

Here's a little blog post about it:

Crankbased: Vintage Dirt Drop Commando Mt Tam

Cheers~
Joe

·
artistic...
7,597 Posts
couple things: isn't 125mm BB a bit wide on those cranks?
the brochure says 26.8 seatpost.. and you have a 27.0 there.

Beautifull bike and i love the fit w/ the tight cokpit and drop bars./

·
Old School
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
couple things: isn't 125mm BB a bit wide on those cranks?
the brochure says 26.8 seatpost.. and you have a 27.0 there.

Beautifull bike and i love the fit w/ the tight cokpit and drop bars./
Pretty sure that's a 125mm spindle, and clearance at the chainstays seems spot on.
I tried a 26.8 post initially and the pinch looked too severe when tight, and was really loose when open. I tried the 27.0 and it fit perfect.

Cool project and even better pictures I like the vintage feel in those pics.
Funny thing. Those vintage looking photos were taken with a new iphone / camera and I accidentally switched to that mode while grabbing the pics. I couldn't figure out how to un-do that mode for quite a while.

Joe, good call painting the stem Camo.
That was a tough call for me. I was thinking it might be too much camo, and maybe black would be good and more versatile down the road if the project tanked. Rick at D&D convinced me to try the camo. If I didn't like it, he'd repaint it black.

·
Spin it again
220 Posts
Most folks would have done a straight up restoration of the bike ... but I love the way you made this bike distinctly your own. Great attention to detail and presentation ... thanks for posting!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
"That was a tough call for me. I was thinking it might be too much camo, and maybe black would be good and more versatile down the road if the project tanked. Rick at D&D convinced me to try the camo. If I didn't like it, he'd repaint it black."

Rick did the same with my Potts, adding a bright red accent. It was totally the right call.

·
Klunker Kev`
225 Posts
Luv this! :thumbsup: All the small details really make it...Great work! :)

·
artistic...
7,597 Posts
most folks would have done a straight up restoration of the bike ... But i love the way you made this bike distinctly your own. Great attention to detail and presentation ... Thanks for posting!
this!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts