Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Tokyo Japan :)

When I lived in Vancouver in October of 1988 I bought a Cannondale frame with a bunch of really crappy parts slapped on it. At the time is was cheaper to buy the rolling bike than just the frame. A larger chain bike store named "Caps" were selling these thing cheap, and I have a really crappy Canadian tire MTB that I needed get away from (can we say boat anchor). I bought the bike knowing that I'd have to replace parts as the broke or wore out, and in the first week the POS fork broke on me, and I was NOT jumping the bike, off-road, yes, but NOT jumping it. I replaced it with the stock Cannondale fork, the Lange Chrome Moly fork. Everything else eventually got upgraded, mostly to Shimano Deore XT. I think the only original parts still on the bike besides the frame are the cranks (not the chain wheels) and the front derailleur. I'm on my second set of hubs and third set of rims.

When I moved to Japan, the only real material possession I kept was the bike, I had sold my other bikes, and just about everything else I owned. I rode the bike for years here in Japan, but it got put away in about 2002 and I'd not ridden it since.

Well, not it is 2010, and I'm getting too fat, so it is time to get back in shape. I used to LOVE riding my Cannondale, and I want to get back to it, but it is in need of a total overhaul. I know that I could buy a new bike for less than this is going to cost me, but this bike has been with me so very long, I can't stand the thought of letting it go to the dump.

I hope this counts as a VRC.

I'll get some pics up soon, but I have to run, the bike shop just called and some parts are in :D

Cheers!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
False alarm on the parts, they just wanted to check some sizes etc, oh well, I'm not ready for parts anyways.

Bicycle accessory Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame Bicycle drivetrain part Bicycle

Here is my starting point, well I took the major components apart, I have my work cut out for me, but I'll get it done!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once I got the main components apart, I wanted to get cleaning things and deciding what I would need to replace.

Bicycle frame Iron Composite material Metal Steel

I do not own a maintenance stand, so I built one :D

Nothing too complex, but it works!

I then set down to cleaning off the frame........

Pipe Iron Parallel Plastic bottle Gas

....I used a heat gun, and a razor blade for about 80%, then a powered wire wheel, and finally just elbow grease and sandpaper.......

But I did get it cleaned up!

Bicycle frame Line Triangle Grey Metal

Still have some minor sanding to do, but it is clean now!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wheels were really grungy, I cleaned them up and mounted new bras, tubes and tires, here is a pic of the old and new.............

Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Rim Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel

I have to replace a bunch of stuff, the bike has sat for 7 or 8 years, under partial cover, but Tokyo is rather a humid place, so I have some components that are in bad condition :madman:

I spent a LOT of time on this bike, it was my daily commute bike to the university, 16km each way, every day, as well as a LOT of off road riding on the University Endowment Lands, which is now a park that surrounds the university. I'm on my third set of rims, second set of hubs, the only part on the bike that is still in use from when I bought it are the cranks.

So far, I've bought;

Pedals
Chain
Handlebar
Grips
Tires
Tubes
Bras
Seat Post QR Clamp
Front & Rear QR Skewers

I've ordered;
Bottom Bracket
Fork
Head Bearings & Races
Front Axle, Cups and Bearings

After that I'll have to see about the brakes.

The brakes do need replacing, I took them apart, and they are fairly bad, so I'll get some new cantilever brakes up front, but the rear brakes are of the older "U" type, which I might have to hunt for, maybe some BMX brakes will fit? :confused:

Like I said, the fork was an upgrade unit, the bike came with a really cheap fork, I broke it the first week I had the bike and replaced it with a stock Cannondale fork, which at the time was a Tange 8L, good Chromoly fork. This fork is now badly rusted just above the bottom race on the stem, and the pits in the steel are deep, so I'll not risk it, a new chromed fork is about $45

I took the cassette apart and cleaned it really well, it is just fine.

I still need to buy the cables and some cable stays, that I think I can still get from Cannondale, and I got a new set of stickers coming for the bike too, exact copies of what was on it, COOL!

I'm fairly sure I'm going to paint it red again, I need to find the special aluminum primer, I hope that is not too hard.

I'll put a few coats of red on it, then let it cure, place the stickers on, and then do several coats of clear to protect everything.

Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle Metal Grey

One thing that I noticed is that my rear wheel needs to be redone, the dish on it is way off I think, I can't move the spacers around, so I think I'll have to adjust the offset via the dish on the wheel....... wish me luck! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
119 Posts
That wheel is out because of the spacers not the dish, there's no way you can dish 2 cm. The first cog on the cassette should nearly be touching the frame..

When you say you can't move the spacers, what do you mean?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pete_mcc said:
That wheel is out because of the spacers not the dish, there's no way you can dish 2 cm. The first cog on the cassette should nearly be touching the frame..

When you say you can't move the spacers, what do you mean?
Thanks for the reply Pete.

That is what I thought too.

Product Wood Hardwood Tool Metal
Product Line Parallel Number Measuring instrument

Here is the rear axle, the left side is the cassette side (with a close up)

On the right side, I think you can see that for some reason the threads only go so far, this limits the number of spacers I can put on the non-cassette side of the axle.

Line Parallel Ruler Office ruler Measuring instrument

and this is the left side, with a ton of spacers.

Wood Hardwood Tool Parallel Ruler

I'd like to move one spacer to the right side, but if I do that.....

Product Line Parallel Hardwood Household hardware

this is the result, I don't have enough axle hanging out of the spacers to register on the frame......:confused:

Does that make sense?

The guy at the bike shop told me that the Shimano axles are limited like that, and I'd have to center the tire by changing the "Dish"

I'm at the "Dunno" point right now :rolleyes:

Are all the Shimano axles like this?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Stu In Tokyo said:
My wheels were really grungy, I cleaned them up and mounted new bras, tubes and tires, here is a pic of the old and new.............

View attachment 527020
One thing that I noticed is that my rear wheel needs to be redone, the dish on it is way off I think, I can't move the spacers around, so I think I'll have to adjust the offset via the dish on the wheel....... wish me luck! :rolleyes:
Axle in backwards?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I'm an idiot :eek:

Yep, the axle was backwards :madman: What I could not get my head around was that the only way to tighten or loosen the cups is to remove the cassette, that just seemed odd to me.

Metal Iron Pipe Steel Composite material
Engineering Metal Pipe Iron Steel

It is now lined up really well.

Next up is the rear brake, it is the original Dia-Comp AD-990, and it needs some serious attention, or replacement, I'm not sure which.... :confused:

Iron Metal Grey Steel Composite material
Metal Iron Bicycle part Screw Household hardware

Some parts I can get anywhere, but some might be a bit hard to get.

I wonder what other brake I could use to replace this?

Anyone have any info?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Stu In Tokyo said:
Well, I'm an idiot :eek:

Yep, the axle was backwards :madman: What I could not get my head around was that the only way to tighten or loosen the cups is to remove the cassette, that just seemed odd to me.

It is now lined up really well.

Next up is the rear brake, it is the original Dia-Comp AD-990, and it needs some serious attention, or replacement, I'm not sure which.... :confused:

Some parts I can get anywhere, but some might be a bit hard to get.

I wonder what other brake I could use to replace this?

Anyone have any info?

Cheers!
Glad it was that simple.

I've never met a U-Brake that didn't respond well to a fine rat-tail file to the hole section and a bit of fine grit sanding strip to the brake posts. Clean it all up, put some grease on the posts and you should be good to go.

Failing that, BMX shops carry all kinds of new ones (Revenge aren't bad) and old Shimano and Campagnolo ones come up (NOS sometimes) on eBay all the time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info guys!

yo-Nate-y said:
You in Tokyo? U-brakes are plentiful! Even places like Y's should have a bunch.

http://ysroad-shinjyuku.com/
Yep, I'm in Tokyo, in Shinjuku in fact and the "Bike Shop" I was talking about is "Y's Road" not a bad shop at all.

I'll be trying to clean up the brake I have, it should clean up OK, it just looked worse when I first had a look.

I've got decent brake levers, but my thumb shifters are shot, one is full of rust :madman: They were/are the old Shimano Deore SIS Light action, I really like them, I really DO NOT like the grip shift things or the under bar thumb shifters. For me the old school top bar thumb shifters is all I need, but they are pricey used in decent shape... :rolleyes:

E-bay and Yahoo auctions are going to be my friends :D

Cheers!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I cleaned up the "U-brake" today, or started to........

Metal Iron Bicycle part Screw Household hardware

Here is the brake all in pieces, some of the parts are rather furry :eek:

Product Fastener Household hardware Hardwood Metal
Wood Hardwood Household hardware Wood stain Silver
Wood Hardwood Household hardware Plywood Fastener

Here are some of the parts in "Before and After" mode :D

Product Metal Household hardware Fastener Steel

All cleaned up.

Metal Household hardware Steel Circle Composite material

I know I'll have to paint several of these parts, the cleaned steel will rust quickly here in Tokyo, it is usually rather humid here.

After I paint these, I have a few other bits and bobs to paint, then to paint the frame, that is the big job.

I'm looking for some bar top thumb shifters, something like these........

Product Bicycle accessory Technology Black Grey

Or even better these.....

Audio equipment Technology Gadget Black Audio accessory

If someone has a set they are willing to part with..........?

Cheers!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
crux said:
Stu,

Cool project. Keep posting
You bet, I'm often kind of on my own over here in Japan, cultural and language issues can make communicating ideas that are outside of the box troublesome. Most of the guys here cannot get it through their heads that I "want" to restore this bike, that it has sentimental value, and when done, (I hope) it will be a good daily user of a bike. They think I'm nuts, and should scrap it and just buy a new one :madman: Thus, it is really a treat to find a forum like this, where people "get it" and where I can ask questions and get answers :thumbsup:

crux said:
Your write up on the axle has to be one of the more detailed questions on the forums. :thumbsup:
Thanks, but it was also one of the simplest solutions........ I had it backwards :eek:ut: :blush:

:D

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 177 Posts