Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got this about a month or so ago.

According to the literature on the network this model cost about $1500 US plus about $205 US for the anodized finish, total cost $1705 US in 1988.

I wonder how many of these were anodized - anodizing colour choices were natural, green, red, blue, purple & black.

It appears that there were about 148 American Breezers built in 1988. Note: This number may or may not be correct but is based on information on the network.

These were handmade by the American Bicycle Manufacturing Company, St. Cloud Minnesota, United States, in collaboration with and designed by Joe Breeze.

Company info here: MOMBAT: American Bicycles History

It needed complete disassembly, cleaning and parts refresh. I didn't retain any of the original parts except the rear cassette and that will get replaced soon. As is my SOP I have kept all the original parts in marked bags.

The original build sheet indicates the bike came with mostly Shimano Deore XT. I stuck to the build sheet to a large degree but made some changes because I wanted a silver build to accent the purple anodized frame. One example is I didn't use the Shimano XT U-brake which seems to come in black only.

Everything else was replaced with NOS or very nice period-ish parts.

The only parts that may not be period correct for the build are:

> The rear brakes: I used a Suntour roller cam with the exposed spring. This is a bit early but I like them better then the XC9000 or Shimano U-Brake

> Brake shoes: Wilderness Trail Bikes (WTB) with Kool-Stop pads

Specifications are:

Frame: American Breezer - 6061 T6 heat treated aluminum anodized
Fork: Koski Dura-Trac chrome-moly (marked ATB on dropouts) - Chromed finish - Original to bike
Headset: Shimano 600EX starfish locknuts
Stem: American Breezer - aluminum anodized - Original to bike
Handlebar: Branded Strong made in Japan - Original to bike
Grips: Grab On
Brakes (Front): Shimano Deore XT - M730
Brakes (Rear): Suntour Roller Cam (Cunningham designed) with holes and exposed springs
Brake Pads : Wilderness Trail Bikes (WTB) - Kool-Stop
Brake Cables: Shimano large diameter
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore XT
Shifters: Shimano Deore XT - 6 speed
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT - M730 - 31.8mm with endless band
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT - long cage
Derailleur Cables: Shimano XT
Cassette: Shimano 600 - Uni-Glide (UG) - 6 speed - 14-28
Chain: Shimano 600EX
Cranks: Shimano Deore XT - M730 - 175mm
Chainrings: Shimano Deore XT - Biopace II - 46-36-26
Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT - 122mm
Pedals: Suntour BMX - Silver
Hub Skewers: Shimano XT
Rims: Araya RM20 - silver
Hubs: Shimano Deore XT - M730 - 130mm rear - 100mm front
Tyres: Ritchey Duro-K Force 2.0
Saddle: Sella Turbo - perforated leather/vinyl
Seatpost: Suntour XC - 26.8mm
Seatpost Binder: Shimano Deore XT - long shaft to accommodate Breezer - Angell - Hite Rite

Attachments

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
Nice. You build some really clean bikes. That's really pretty.

What color is that? Looks like a root beer? Or does it have a little rose in it?

Great job!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey G and Steve

Thanks for the nice comments.

Yes I do think it is purple....in real life it appears to be a burgundy color. It is a bit faded in some places. Some of the color options for anodizing were purple and red. I am going with this being purple but could be red.

What looks like discoloration/dirt in the welds seems to be lighter anodizing or fading. Whatever it is it can't be removed or brightened with anything I have tried.

·
4,486 Posts
Have always liked the gentle curve of that fork, beautiful bike. Thanks for posting.

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
Interesting. Well, I like the color. Looks really unusual and unique. Yeah, nice welds. Some buffoon filed some welds on an American stem a while back. Still not over that.... ;)

That bike fell into great hands. I love your projects.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wonder if those are FTW welds?
These were handmade by the American Bicycle Manufacturing Company in collaboration with and designed by Joe Breeze. The information out there says that Joe was impressed with the quality of these aluminum bikes so he decided to collaborate with them. The company was known for their "beauty welds".

Looks Great. I need to come down and visit.
Thanks....and yes....we need to get together to do a ride and see each other's bike projects.

Didn't think I would like the anodized finish until I scrolled down. Nice build.
Thanks for that...and it looks even better in person. Photos would benefit from a better photographer/lighting.

I wasn't sure I would like it either until it arrived.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I don't know about 1988, but by 1990 at the wholesale level, it was an extra $50 for a polished frame, and $100 for an anodized frame. If my memory is correct, it cost me $750 wholesale for a brushed Comp Lite frame in 1990. As much as I wanted the Cool Anno one, I was stretched just getting the brushed model. Loved that bike.

For some silly reason I currently have four American buit frames in the garage including two Comp Lites, a Breezer, and a tandem. All cool but none as wonderful as that first one.

Crazy hobby we have.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
First time I've seen that color. Very cool!

Great job on the rebuild. I definitely appreciate the attention to detail and loyalty to period correct.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have always liked the gentle curve of that fork, beautiful bike. Thanks for posting.
Yes I agree the forks are very nice. I brought it to a well known and long time bike builder friend, the shape of the fork was one of the first things he noticed and liked.

First time I've seen that color. Very cool!

Great job on the rebuild. I definitely appreciate the attention to detail and loyalty to period correct.
Thanks for the compliment. I have fun trying to make my bikes look good. It is nice to have people more experienced at restoration take notice.

·
He be a moose too.
2,164 Posts
I really like that one. The decals American used tended not to be too durable so to have one where they're not peeling off (not just from wear but simply age) is nice and the fork is perfect.

That is neither purple nor red but kind of root-beer-ey as G-girl suggested. It may have fading in a few spots but that is essentially the original color of it. I've seen that finish in person and it's really nice.

>> some buffoon....
> Missed that...

On Retrobike, some guy filed the welds off an American stem not knowing what he had. I, of course, said it was silly to do that as he removed what made the stem special. People said Pinguwin was a ninny and the original poster was bold and innovative for making it his own. I posted a photoshopped picture of a Plymouth Superbird with its gigantic spoiler removed commenting, "Look what I've done...it's unique". Here is a picture of the stem:

dscf3111.jpg Photo by Hydorah | Photobucket

Retrobike guy said, "Let's do something nice for that poor old stem".

It went on for a long time but the two of us kissed and made up in PM's. It was pretty funny.

Anyways, not trying to threadjack but what you have is pretty impressive. It's really, really nice.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really like that one. The decals American used tended not to be too durable so to have one where they're not peeling off (not just from wear but simply age) is nice and the fork is perfect.

That is neither purple nor red but kind of root-beer-ey as G-girl suggested. It may have fading in a few spots but that is essentially the original color of it. I've seen that finish in person and it's really nice.
Hey thanks for the nice comment and decal information.

Regarding the color: see the anodizing color choices from an ad taken from the Mombat site. In person it really is more purple/red than the photos show...it was a rare cloudy day here in the PNW when I took the photos.

Hope to be going out for a longer ride with it today.

Thanks again much appreciated.

Attachments

·
He be a moose too.
2,164 Posts
The color you have is kind of an oddball one and not all are listed on the sheet. They had kind of a camouflage-y color that I've seen a few M16's done in. They may be a few one-offs or small runs of colors. When they say "purple", they mean purple as in Really Fabulous! Purple.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts