Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Ritchey has always been my favorite because every time I look at the original paint it says to me, "ride me amongst the golden aspens of Colorado on a warm fall day." The build is almost completely original too (6-speed XT), and it is in amazing condition.

Incidentally, this Super Comp owned by member "fillet-brazed" appears to be just one serial number different. fiveandaquarter: '87 Ritchey Super Comp

20080901__0953.jpg

20080901__0954.jpg

20080901__0965.jpg

20080901__0955.jpg

20080901__0956.jpg

20080901__0957.jpg

20080901__0959.jpg

20080901__0960.jpg

20080901__0961.jpg

20080901__0962.jpg

·
Registered
258 Posts
That is really gorgeous. It looks like so much fun waiting to happen.

Even if you can't find any Aspen groves, for Pete's sake ride that beauty. My heart bleeds for that pristine bike in a "Boy in the Plastic Bubble" kinda way.

·
Klunker Kev`
225 Posts
Just...Wow. That`s original paint?? Where was that thing? How`d it end up staying so pristine?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
Scuffs on the cranks, side walls look crusty, tow straps tucked....its a hair away from a full on ghost jump bike! :p

Just kidding DC, the bike is fantastic. You're really crankin' out the projects! You won't have any left to work on soon. ;)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Simply beautiful! I swear that bikes with U-brakes have a higher tonal quality to them as they ride down the trail due to lack of cable guides on the top tube. To me they literally sound different than a normal canti-equiped ride and the clean lines look way cooler.

I'm once again equally envious and happy for you, Double Century. I can only wonder what's next!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"That`s original paint?? Where was that thing? How`d it end up staying so pristine?"

Original paint, but the downtube decals were replaced with some obtained from Ritchey many years back. I actually got this off eBay some time ago on a whim because it was local. I went to pick it up and the garage it was stored in was filled with similar fillet-brazed Ritcheys because the garage owner was a former employee.

The front tire is a Fisher Fattrax 2.1 and the rear shown is a 1.95, which has since been replaced with a very nice Dusttrax 2.1. Yes, Fisher tires on a Ritchey.

·
artistic...
7,596 Posts
Simply beautiful! I swear that bikes with U-brakes have a higher tonal quality to them as they ride down the trail due to lack of cable guides on the top tube. To me they literally sound different than a normal canti-equiped ride and the clean lines look way cooler.

I'm once again equally envious and happy for you, Double Century. I can only wonder what's next!
Wow. His writting made it.... Art! finally.. I surrender.:thumbsup:

·
artistic...
7,596 Posts
"That`s original paint?? Where was that thing? How`d it end up staying so pristine?"

Original paint, but the downtube decals were replaced with some obtained from Ritchey many years back. I actually got this off eBay some time ago on a whim because it was local. I went to pick it up and the garage it was stored in was filled with similar fillet-brazed Ritcheys because the garage owner was a former employee.

The front tire is a Fisher Fattrax 2.1 and the rear shown is a 1.95, which has since been replaced with a very nice Dusttrax 2.1. Yes, Fisher tires on a Ritchey.
A garage filled w/ fillet brazed Ritcheys.. damm.:thumbsup:

·
artistic...
7,596 Posts
It rides plenty nice, but would fit me better if it had the low-rise bullmoose bar instead. So far I've used it to explore dirt mining roads up in the local hills.
Braze a custom bullmoose!;) you've machined much more complex things.
Never rode a Ritchey. I would love to corner at high speed one of those late 80s super comps.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Gotta love those bars!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts