Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That beautiful 89' Slingshot posted yesterday inspired me to post some pics of my 86' Slingshot. It's in very good shape even though its got a few scrapes. I have to say It rides really nice on the trails, super smooth. This is my first post so hopefully I posted the pictures correctly. Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Wow! I remember their BMX bike of that year, I never knew they had made a mountain bike yet. Bike has tons of style. Way to introduce yourself to this group, welcome. I'm going to guess Rumphy passed out and thats why he hasn't posted a reply!

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
awesome specimen. thanks for sharing.

I appreciate the current riding position and it may have even come that way in 86, but man I think that thing would look really cool with a Tioga T-bone or something similar.

·
Dumpster Diver
1,093 Posts
Hey Noob

Hey Noob, Way to get on the board with a mad post:thumbsup: You are the poster child for getting it right! You even started with a drive side pic, sa-weet! What a beautiful example of an early Slingshot. I know where one just like yours is being used daily by the original owner as well. Welcome to the forum and I hope you stay around.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks you guys for all the comments. A couple interesting things about the bike is that you have to shift the thumb shifter backward to operate the front derailleur. Also the rear brake uses nuts instead of bolts. I love old bikes and this forum is an awesome source of information. One question I have is how do you keep old tires from drying out? Thanks

·
Dumpster Diver
1,093 Posts
sansarret said:
Thanks you guys for all the comments. A couple interesting things about the bike is that you have to shift the thumb shifter backward to operate the front derailleur. Also the rear brake uses nuts instead of bolts. I love old bikes and this forum is an awesome source of information. One question I have is how do you keep old tires from drying out? Thanks
To make your front shifter work in the right direction, can you preload the derailleur to the big ring? It seems like that would work and the friction would hold the shifter in place.

On vintage tires, I would do an advanced search here in vrc. I know this topic has come up several times.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
YETIFIED said:
To make your front shifter work in the right direction, can you preload the derailleur to the big ring? It seems like that would work and the friction would hold the shifter in place.

On vintage tires, I would do an advanced search here in vrc. I know this topic has come up several times.
the derailleur is made that way and unless you reverse the spring that's the way it is.

edit: actually, I think what you said might work. it might just be a bit hard to pull it toward you with it configured that way. hmmm.

as for the tires, the best way is to keep them in a box and out of any light. I've also heard that storing them near electric motors causes deterioration to the rubber. In my experience, I've pulled 20+ year old tires out of a box that were like new.

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
Those Suntour XC front derailleurs were funny beasts. I have one on one of my bikes. They take a reversed cable pull compared to other front derailleurs...kind of like Rapid Rise for the front...

I noticed you have the Deer Head shifters...if you re-route the front cable through the opposite direction on the left shifter (Deer Head shifters are ambidextrous) by taking off the top cap, moving the little black plug to the other side, re-inserting the cable the other direction and re-assembling the shifter, it should make it work more the way you're used to on normal bikes...

Those XC derailleurs are great foul-weather solutions for downshifting, though!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool, I didn't know you could do this with the shifters, I will give it a try. I did get used to shifting backward though and I quite like it.

I will also ride my bike only in the dark from now on in order to save those tires ....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.