Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few (okay 20 total) pages from one of my favorite issues of Mountain Bike for the Adventure - November/December 1985. I lusted after the Salsa and Ibis bikes in this issue until I had both.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Great stuff Mike!!! Keep it coming. Those old magazines are just priceless. Great reading. It brings back such cool memories...........

I was never aware of Mountain Bike for the Adventure back then unfortunately. Although I do have one copy now from I think 85 also.

Please keep that stuff coming, its a great thing to have here on the forum.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
LOL! I just noticed the "shop employee discount" cover job! Lots of mine are like that too.

That Goat is a classic Id like to have. Someday. So is that Salsa. I like those old paint jobs.

·
Registered
266 Posts
hey cool. i too remember that particular issue. i ride an ibis very much like that one still, converted to a SS nowadays. i just did a 12 hour race on it. it is funny, the young guns simply do not what to make of it, and comment on the heretofore ( to them) never even imagined LD stem. they marvel that the bike is actually nimble thru the singletrack. there are not many bikes from 1985 that are still rippable today, but the ibis is one. that boy nicol knew a thing or three.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fillet-brazed said:
Great stuff Mike!!! Keep it coming. Those old magazines are just priceless. Great reading. It brings back such cool memories...........

I was never aware of Mountain Bike for the Adventure back then unfortunately. Although I do have one copy now from I think 85 also.

Please keep that stuff coming, its a great thing to have here on the forum.
Will do. Hank Barlow put together a good reading magazine back then. Then he sold it to Rodale and eventually becoming Mountain Bike. Anyone know what Hank is up to these days? Last I saw him he was splitting time between Moab and Crested Butte.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mon t said:
hey cool. i too remember that particular issue. i ride an ibis very much like that one still, converted to a SS nowadays. i just did a 12 hour race on it. it is funny, the young guns simply do not what to make of it, and comment on the heretofore ( to them) never even imagined LD stem. they marvel that the bike is actually nimble thru the singletrack. there are not many bikes from 1985 that are still rippable today, but the ibis is one. that boy nicol knew a thing or three.
mon t - post a pic of your Ibis. I'd love to see it. Here's a link to mine down the page a bit, the blue/violet team fade paint http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=18450

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
old news

ssmike said:
Will do. Hank Barlow put together a good reading magazine back then. Then he sold it to Rodale and eventually becoming Mountain Bike. Anyone know what Hank is up to these days? Last I saw him he was splitting time between Moab and Crested Butte.
I haven't spoken with him for a decade, but my news is newer than your news. He married a French woman and moved to the south of France. Last time we spoke, he was looking into getting a bro buddy deal on a good road bike to ride the tiny one-lane paths there. I think I recommended Litespeed. I think I heard he was involved in some kind of cycling tour outfit there. I miss him.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bulC said:
I haven't spoken with him for a decade, but my news is newer than your news. He married a French woman and moved to the south of France. Last time we spoke, he was looking into getting a bro buddy deal on a good road bike to ride the tiny one-lane paths there. I think I recommended Litespeed. I think I heard he was involved in some kind of cycling tour outfit there. I miss him.
And I assume his kid is with Kim? I think I did hear about the France thing. He showed me some pretty, killer trails up in the La Sals. What a good technical rider he was.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
LOL! I just noticed the "shop employee discount" cover job! Lots of mine are like that too.

That Goat is a classic Id like to have. Someday. So is that Salsa. I like those old paint jobs.

I'll second the Goat.

Great read Mike, Thanks!

·
Registered
508 Posts
nice!

Mike, i need to take a trip out to Cali, just to sit at your place and go through all your good issues of the early mags. Oh, and go for a ride as well. hehe. I wish magazines were like this today.

I've got Tracy Smith's business card from when he was at interbike with Wes Williams as a rider representative.

over and out
nate

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cursivearmy said:
Mike, i need to take a trip out to Cali, just to sit at your place and go through all your good issues of the early mags. Oh, and go for a ride as well. hehe. I wish magazines were like this today.
The weather sure is beautiful out here.

·
it's hot inside
36 Posts
Whole cover (and back)...

One of the few magazines I saved from the '80s. I too lusted after that Salsa (and the Fat Chance and Ibis - out of my budget). A shop in Newport Beach (CA) always had several haging off the ceiling (in various mottled paint schemes). Their top tubes felt too short for me, so I chose a Wicked instead (which was cutting-edge compared to the old-world craftmanship of the Salsa).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Awesome articles

I remember when those magazines were new! The good old days, more simplicity!
I like the Fat Chance review...."our first test bike to break the 27 pound barrier."
The old articles were more adventure driven. The sport needs to promote more adventure.

·
artistic...
7,596 Posts
Great thread!!! I didn´t know ablout that mag: class act. Extremely well written.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts