Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
That's gonna leave a mark
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently acquired this bike in a trade (thanks Bushpig!). BP believes this to be a Kicker frame. It had dropbar SS written all over it. Original paint and paint matched fork w/ a gaggle of mixed parts; including WTB Dirt Drops. I got lucky with the 36T front ring and 19T rear cog and ended up not needing a tensioner.

I've ridden it a few times on the dirt and haven't adjusted to the geometry. The fork feels really raked, causing the front end to flip/flop on climbs. It's my first drop bar on dirt. Suggestions? Opinions on my bar height in comparison to the seat?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
I'm not gonna lie. I was happy to get that out of my garage. :p

How's your reach? Looks like the stem is pretty long. Height looks good to me.

I think it might be the angle of the bike in that first pic that makes things look...off. Shouldn't be all that raked I wouldn't think.

Looks cool though!

·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:p
Rumpfy said:
I'm not gonna lie. I was happy to get that out of my garage. :p

How's your reach? Looks like the stem is pretty long. Height looks good to me.

I think it might be the angle of the bike in that first pic that makes things look...off. Shouldn't be all that raked I wouldn't think.

Looks cool though!
One man's trash is another man's treasure. :thumbsup: Got any other Fat's lying around taking up space? I'd be happy to make room...:p

As far as reach, I could stand to be shorter in the cockpit. If you know what I mean. I'm hoping it's the long stem that's throwing my steering off. Sucks to climb, fun to descend.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Upchuck said:
As far as reach, I could stand to be shorter in the cockpit. If you know what I mean. I'm hoping it's the long stem that's throwing my steering off.
Hmmmm... so where will that stem end up?

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Upchuck said:
If in fact a shorter stem will solve my handling issues, we can work something out.
Swapping that for the one on my Goat might help us both out!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Upchuck,

Unfortunately, I do not believe the shorter stem alone is going to solve the handling issue.

The culprit looks to be the fork; the axel to crown length is excessive and the offset a bit too much.

Although the color matches nicely, the handling is telling you otherwise.

If you are willing to do some measuring work, drop me a line and we'll work out what the geometry should be.

cheers,

rody

·
artistic...
7,602 Posts
it looks fantastic. as rody said the handling is affected basically from the fork rake and a-c distance. although the 69.5 front angle asks for a long rake IMO. rody knows much more than me about this.

the height of bars looks perfect.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
colker1 said:
it looks fantastic. as rody said the handling is affected basically from the fork rake and a-c distance. although the 69.5 front angle asks for a long rake IMO. rody knows much more than me about this.

Pretty sure thats the original fork. A-C lenght looks standard.

·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
colker1 said:

If in fact this is a Kicker, the head angle is even more slack.

I'll email Rody with some measurements and see if anything can be done to improve the handling.

·
artistic...
7,602 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
Pretty sure thats the original fork. A-C lenght looks standard.
sure... but rake could be different.

·
artistic...
7,602 Posts
hmmm... forks look the same on both pics. chuck, maybe ride it w/ a flat bar and long(140mm) stem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts