Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody have an '84 SJ, or use to have one? Trying to find out if the one I had that came with a black headset and black cantilever brake arms was a fluke, or if they all had them. That was my second SJ, and to this day my favorite bike ever. It was stolen in 1986, and I never got over it.

·
No known cure
4,312 Posts
I had a 1984 Stumpjumper SC that had black Shimano cantis, but a polished Specialized headset.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what you mean by Stumpjumper SC. At that time there was only the Stumpjumper and the Sport models. The SJ only came in dark blue or grey. I remember reading that the components were subject to change based on availability at the time.

·
No known cure
4,312 Posts
83stumpjumper said:
Not sure what you mean by Stumpjumper SC. At that time there was only the Stumpjumper and the Sport models. The SJ only came in dark blue or grey. I remember reading that the components were subject to change based on availability at the time.
Here's the '84 SC

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never seen, nor heard of the SC model before. Did it come with that black slingshot stem? Mine had the bullmoose bars with the cleaner tig welding. It was the last year they used those bars, the 1985 models came with the sligshot stems.
Are you rebuilding the bike?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Vader said:
I had a 1984 Stumpjumper SC that had black Shimano cantis, but a polished Specialized headset.
I've got a frameset less crank and derailleurs sitting in the garage. It has black XT cantilevers. There were black Deer Head shifters but my frame came sans shifters so I can't tell about that.

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Sorry for the crappy phone pic, but here's a shot of mine. I believe it's all original except for the tires, brake pads, and rear der. The stem is a super sweet forged piece, looks like it's made by Nitto. Everything on the bike is silver. Sweet bike, I use it as my lunch burrito getting townie.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, that looks like an '84 SJ to me. That was the year they started using the Saturae rims as opposed to the Araya rims. Mine came with the bullmoose bars rather than the slingshot style yours has. Mine had Suntour XC shifters and derailluers. I'm guessing that was due to what was available at the time. Great bike you have, it's a true classic from the early days of the sport.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I had a silver '84. It had silver brakes and headset. ( I still have the brakes and the fork.)

Black components could be cool too. Ben's Cycle currently has some NOS of those nitto/specialized slingshot stem and bar combos, in black finish, on their website for a pretty good price.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you mean silver, or grey? If it was silver, then you had the Sport version. The Stumpjumper only came in dark blue or grey. The SJ Sport came in silver or light blue.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I guess it must have been the "sport" model, because it was definitely a metalic silver color. Its possible that it was an '83 too, but I bought it in '84. Funny how I wasn't even aware of the diferences back then - I was just so enamored with the whole idea of a MOUNTAIN bike. I rode the hell out of that thing, I've always missed it too, so I recently found an '85 project to restore. It's similar (same lugs and cable routing, but different (lugged unicrown fork, steeper head and seat tubes, different chainstays), and red.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought a mint condition 1985 Stumpjumper a year ago, found it on Ebay. I think I've waxed it more than I've ridden it. My only wish was that it had the biplane fork rather than the unicrown. I did get a set of Specialized bullmoose bars for it though. To me those bars represent the begining of mountain biking.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Anybody remember what bikes first used Bullmoose bars. The first Stumpjumpers didn't and had a very short seat to handlebar reach because of it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know the custom Ritchey bikes had the bullmoose bars first. They were his design I believe. The 1983/84 Stumpjumpers came with bullmoose bars. In 1985 they swithed over to the slingshot stem and bars. The 1981/82 SJs came with that golf club head style of stem.

·
WI. Big Boy MTBer
643 Posts
Wow.. Holy slack geometry Batman! It's amazing how much modern bikes have evolved.

Very nice old Stump!

·
Registered
847 Posts
83stumpjumper said:
I bought a mint condition 1985 Stumpjumper a year ago, found it on Ebay. I think I've waxed it more than I've ridden it. My only wish was that it had the biplane fork rather than the unicrown. I did get a set of Specialized bullmoose bars for it though. To me those bars represent the begining of mountain biking.

Can you post some pictures of your '85? Wouldn't mind seeing it. I'd love to have an official first-generation stumpjumper thread, for that matter. Could be a great resource as I restore mine - assuming I try to do a "concours' restoration.

On the other hand, you may have inadvertantly helped me make a decision not to worry about being 100% accurate: I've been trying to decide if I should stick with the original '85 unicrown fork when I repaint, or use my old bi-plane, since I have it. Originality & low weight vs. style & uniqueness.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I wish I could post photos of it, but you have to go through a photo hosting site or something, and I don't know how to do that. Here are the specs for every Stumpjumper from 1982 to 1991,http://mombat.org/Specialized_Specs.htm. Mine is all original, except the bullmoose bars, tires, grips and bottle cage. I put on a modern flashy red cage, but still have the original that came with it. Mine came with the great Tomasselli brake levers too. When I got it a year ago, I did want to put on a biplane fork, and bought a frame and for off Ebay to do it. That's also where I got the bullmoose bars from. However, the fork was too short, and I couldn't use it. I kept the bars and sold the frame set off for about what I paid just for the shipping. Trying to get the color to match probably would have been a probem. I'm glad I just kept the original on the bike. The '85 frame is different from the '84, especially in the shape of the chain stays. If you give me your email, I can send you some photos of the bike. Good luck in restoring yours.

·
Registered
847 Posts
83stumpjumper said:
I wish I could post photos of it, but you have to go through a photo hosting site or something, and I don't know how to do that.
When you're posting, click on the "paperclip" (attachment) icon instead of the "mountain" (photograph) icon. Then you can insert images directly into the thread. The table will tell you exactly how big they can be, depending on what kind of file they are.

I'll p.m. you anyway, if you don't mind sending some pictures. Other than seeing the correct '85 componentry, my big question is whether or not the chrome chainstays are supposed to be painted or left exposed.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not tech savy at all when it comes to computers. I'll email you the photos, and you can post them, just give me credit as the bike owner. The drive train side chain stay is chromed from just about the drop out, to about where the nipples are on the rim. The other side is painted completly. Suntour XC were used for the derailluers and shifters. Mine had a Shimano Deer Head derailluer when it was shipped to me from the original owner. He said he had replaced the factory derailluer years ago. I was able to find the proper Suntour XC rear on Ebay and replace it to what it was supposed to be. Everything else is original and correct.
PM me with your email and I'll send you photos.

·
Registered
159 Posts
sryanak said:
The first Stumpjumpers didn't and had a very short seat to handlebar reach because of it.
Exactly the situation with my bike. It's a little akward. Went out on a ride with my son and we switched back and forth with my 83 stumpy, We both felt that it needed adjustment. The short reach was compounded when I put on a B17, it wouldn't adjust back as far as the original avocett. Now I'm back with the original saddle and handlebars twisted forward.

I covet the rivendel bull moose bars. Would that be wrong?

I was told that the the alloy sling shot was considered the upgrade/higher quality handlebar setup at the time. The Cro-Mo Bull Moose bars were on the cheaper sport model.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 91 Posts