Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased this for my eldest son. His previous mountain bike was stolen out of our garage, and I searched for a nice replacement. This one popped on our local CL and I grabbed it immediately when I noticed its near new condition. My intent is to keep this fairly stock, maybe with a tire upgrade since these are over twenty years old. Maybe some fresh brake pads, and a very sound cleaning/lube, as it has been sitting in a basement for twenty years. What can you tell me about the bike? Anyone here have one that can relate some helpful tips? Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow that's a great find! Especially in that condition that's a collector's item. I had one that was about the same with worse paint, I sold it on ebay for $350. I'm pretty sure you could get more for that one. Those look like original grips even.

Compared to today's mountain bikes this one will be a bit slow handling and heavy. That's actually a plus depending on what kind of riding your son likes to do. These make great commuting or touring bikes. They are fine off road too, just not as quick as today's offerings. They are certainly more durable than most of today's offerings.

I would ask your son what he's into, what kind of riding he likes. If he was going to change and upgrade a lot of components like try to add suspension it might be better just to sell this for a profit and buy something a bit more modern. But maybe he'll dig the vintage bombproofiness. It's a great bike. I have the exact same frame as this and I'm going to build it into a multi-day expedition bike.

If your son does change components make sure he keeps or sells the old ones, almost every part on that bike is collectible. It's not easy to find an early Stumpjumper in that condition. Many on here would say it's sacrilege to change anything on that bike or even get a scratch on it. But it's your bike now so you can do what you want!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey ColoradoRyan,
Thanks for the info! We will keep the bike as close to bone stock as possible. Probably add new tires and brake pads. I ride cyclocross and use Ritchey Speed Maxs and Tufos on my cross bike, so I'll steer him towards a decent all-around tire. I think some Kool-Stops will be a good choice for brake pads. Otherwise, we have another perfect Blackburn rack he'll put on the front. He may use the bike as an all-rounder including fire roads, light touring with my group, the river bottoms, and maybe just hanging out with friends. We are not into garage queens around here, not with our road bikes, nor with his track bike. Both of my kids are turning into decent mechanics and are basically in charge of rebuilding my Tommasini Sintesi this winter. As for what we paid, I learned a long time ago to just say it was an incredible deal. We just saw one locally sell last fall for $1,000+, so we are very aware of the bike's value. :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
value

gomango said:
Hey ColoradoRyan,
Thanks for the info! We will keep the bike as close to bone stock as possible. Probably add new tires and brake pads. I ride cyclocross and use Ritchey Speed Maxs and Tufos on my cross bike, so I'll steer him towards a decent all-around tire. I think some Kool-Stops will be a good choice for brake pads. Otherwise, we have another perfect Blackburn rack he'll put on the front. He may use the bike as an all-rounder including fire roads, light touring with my group, the river bottoms, and maybe just hanging out with friends. We are not into garage queens around here, not with our road bikes, nor with his track bike. Both of my kids are turning into decent mechanics and are basically in charge of rebuilding my Tommasini Sintesi this winter. As for what we paid, I learned a long time ago to just say it was an incredible deal. We just saw one locally sell last fall for $1,000+, so we are very aware of the bike's value. :)
yes--- assume the way it is - I had the exact model in 83! wish I had another to ride to the coffee shop -

·
Registered
24 Posts
gomango said:
Hey ColoradoRyan,
Sounds like you've got lots of fun projects going, enjoy the new 'old' bike! Let us know how he likes it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts