Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey VRC,

After my last positive experience purchasing my 1991 Stumpjumper Comp, I was in the market for another Stumpjumper... hopefully an older one!

I came across this one today, I wish it were more complete... reminds me of the after Thanksgiving turkey. All the choicest bits are gone! The serial number is M3B06916. That denotes February in 1983, right? From other '83 Stumpjumpers I looked over online, the wheels, "bullmoose" bar/stem, the Tommaselli racing levers, and the biplane fork are correct. The down tube decals read "Stumpjumper Specialized" and the seat tube has the "special steel touring tubing" decal. I checked MOMBAT but there are no '83 Stumpjumpers pictured, only specs for the Stumpjumper and Stumpjumper Sport. There are no specs listed for the Stumpjumper Sport, so I'm left to guess. MOMBAT does list the '83 Stumpjumper's only color as blue. Mine is obviously not blue. So, is mine a Sport model?

What has me confused are the rear dropouts, vertical instead of horizontal? My buddy's '86 Stumpjumper has horizontal dropouts. The other thing (see pictures) my rear dropouts appear to be chromed (the fork dropouts too). Were they chroming the dropouts and stays like a road bike? Has anyone on here ever stripped an '83 down to the frame? There so little decent paint left on the frame, I'll eventually get to sanding to see. Can anyone help me with specifics as to what model Stumpjumper I bought today?

Thank you for the help and comments on my previous postings! I hope there are some experts on the VRC that can assist me with my bike ignorance.

Best regards,

-DON-

Attachments

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I would never be so boorishly presumptuous to say I'm an expert, but here's a pic of a 1983 Stumpjumper Sport's rear dropout which appears to not look like yours....

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Mode of transport Bicycle part Spoke

It is quite possible the dropouts on yours were replaced due to damage. I would call Specialized and see if they can help.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You nailed it! I have ???

Thanks TraumaARNP for the reply and the picture!

Those dropouts are at the heart of my confusion. The drops in the pic you attached are just like my buddy's '86 but his has the micro-adjust screws in the back of the dropouts. My dropouts match those in the '82 Stumpjumpers on MOMBAT but my serial number is proof that mine is not an '82. My only thought is the '83 Sport you posted was later in the run, since mine seems to have been built in February of '83.

I'm hoping someone on here has an '83 like mine or can clear up my confusion... please help.

Thanks!

-D-

·
Klunker Kev`
225 Posts
Could have been a "running change" at the factory as they transitioned from one type to another ...maybe?

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
I'd believe the date on the BB shell. And at the time there was only one model - the Stumpjumper - so that's what it is.

Parts supply were scarce, market size was unknown, and builders were still figuring out how to build a frame when that bike was made. Bikes varied a lot while manufacturers tried to figure out how to build bikes, and what they could sell.

·
Banned
266 Posts
No expert here, I'll leave that for the self annointed know it alls who weren't even born when the term "mountain bike" was coined, but I really do believe your dropouts have been replaced. The welding just does not look right.

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
Steeljaws said:
No expert here, I'll leave that for the self annointed know it alls who weren't even born when the term "mountain bike" was coined, but I really do believe your dropouts have been replaced. The welding just does not look right.
The only problem with that theory is that the stays would have had to be extended to get from the other one shown to where his is with the smaller dropouts.

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
I'm with Laffeaux on this and MuddyBuddy is dead on.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I'm with Steeljaws on those dropouts just not appearing right.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Questionable dropouts

Thanks for the comments!

I can appreciate the idea that the dropouts indicate a prior repair. I can't say for sure but I was told that it had never been repaired, the frame has no noticeable dents or dings from use. I decided to go back to MOMBAT and check their '82 Stumpjumpers, see for yourselves.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forgot the pics... duh!

The first picture is from MOMBAT, the second is my dropout.

Look closely at both, you can see tooling lines around the axle nut and a second to the right of where the derailleur threads onto the frame. Another thing that I notice is the manner in which the dropouts are joined and welded into the stays, both look very similar to me.

Someone PM'ed me that MERK26 was correct, it seems reasonable enough. I'm really hoping someone on here has an early '83 Stumpjumper with similar dropouts and will be able to say for certain.

Like I mentioned before, anybody else have chrome under the paint on their Stumpjumper?

Thanks for all the help!

-D-

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey-

There we go... that's the one! Check out the exposed chrome on the derailleur hanger and the chromed cable stop on the chain stay. Cool Vader,what is it? Thanks for the help, I'm looking forward to ending this mystery!

-D-

Attachments

·
No known cure
4,569 Posts
neo_pop_71 said:
Hey-

There we go... that's the one! Check out the exposed chrome on the derailleur hanger and the chromed cable stop on the chain stay. Cool Vader,what is it? Thanks for the help, I'm looking forward to ending this mystery!

-D-
I no longer have the bike, but it was a Stumpjumper. I think a 1984. The sticker on the TT said "SC". The front fork ends were chromed too. When I get home from work, I'll post more pics. The frame details are the same as yours.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have two 1982 Stumpjumpers: an earlier tig welded model built March, 1982 in blue and a dark grey model with a lugged frame built July '82. Both have vertical dropouts.

I have a Sumpjumper Sport, lugged, with light grey paint built August, 1982 with horizontal dropouts.

I think your frame is a 1983 Stumpjumper, not a Sport model. I doubt the rear dropouts were replaced.

Will try to post pics tonight after work.

Craig

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
dropout has most definitely not been replaced. the photo that Trauma posted is a later, lower end frame.[/QUOTE]

Curious what later lower end frame that would be

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I think in 83 it was just the Stumpjumper and the Stumpjumper Sport.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts