Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I like butter
456 Posts
82Sidewinder said:
Wow, that is super clean Jeff!:thumbsup: I have one of those too. Mine is brown with gold anodized components, and it's a 5 speed.

It rides well enough but is more of a BMX cruiser than a mountain bike.
some how I knew you would be one of he people that replied to this thread:thumbsup:

·
Bicycle repairman
130 Posts
Beautiful example! Thanks for sharing. Was the seat changed on this bike?

26 years ago I awoke to an identical bike under the tree for Christmas. I loved that bike and most of the kids in the neighborhood thought it was strange or made fun of it. Oddly enough, they all wanted to ride it and they liked it when they did.

I now have two chestnut models, a silver one, and a blue 83'. All are ten-speeds.

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kingsting said:
Beautiful example! Thanks for sharing. Was the seat changed on this bike?

26 years ago I awoke to an identical bike under the tree for Christmas. I loved that bike and most of the kids in the neighborhood thought it was strange or made fun of it. Oddly enough, they all wanted to ride it and they liked it when they did.

I now have two chestnut models, a silver one, and a blue 83'. All are ten-speeds.
The seat was changed out by the original owner.

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ScottyMTB said:
Sad thing is, they are worth more stripped down and parted out. I have a blue and a brown and I don't have the heart to break them up. Nice example.
Yeah, the wheels are probably worth more than the bike.

·
Registered
593 Posts
and if you ride alot of rough terrian

the stiffness of that BMX Unicrown fork can cause the welds at the HT to break.
they did a 'frame only' from that era with canti bosses and followed it with a lugged version.
A year or 2 later they did the Sierra

·
Registered
593 Posts
yup

82Sidewinder said:
In '83, they came out with the Sierra. It had the same frame as the Sidewinder, but with canti bosses and alloy wheels. '84 was the first year for the Taiwan-made Sierra and High Sierra.

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1980_1990/1984Ltwt10.html
my dad got his Sierra in 83.

Keep your eyes peeled, there are rare Schwinn Pre Sidewinder MTB frames out there. I had the 1980 (was Filet Brazed or Tig with a BMX Style Fork that did break the frame) and the 81 (I think it was lugged, I can't remember) with a very Ritchey-esque Fork(warranty replacement). Same silver as the sidewinder but had Schwinn on the downtube. was available as frame only/special order.

If anyone ever sees one, in XL Mafac Brakes, T/A Cranks, Campy Derailleurs, Bullmoose Bars, Blue Araya Rims, it was mine, stolen in 1996 or 1997, sniff, sniff

·
Registered
419 Posts
82Sidewinder said:
In '83, they came out with the Sierra. It had the same frame as the Sidewinder, but with canti bosses and alloy wheels. '84 was the first year for the Taiwan-made Sierra and High Sierra.

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1980_1990/1984Ltwt10.html
i guess '84 was the first model year for the high sierra, but they hit the shops (durango anyway) in the fall of '83. saw a lot of sierras tooling around that summer, glad i waited a few months. it was a pretty darn nice bike for $350 (a stump sport was $500, and those goofy rosses with the gold rims were only ten bucks less than the schwinn). things sure happened fast for a few years!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
That's a stunning Sidewinder, as they go. To have one with good anodizing on the rim brake surface is truly freaky.

Here is a picture of mine. A Jan 82 example. The first Flight pics will help me do some decal touchup someday.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
It won't stop hardly at all

Any Sidewinder owners have a suitible brake pad recommendation? For some reason, it stops worse than my 1989 schwinn beach cruiser which has steel rims. I was considering the little salmon pads from Harris Cyclery. Are they superior?

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
GregB406 said:
Any Sidewinder owners have a suitible brake pad recommendation? For some reason, it stops worse than my 1989 schwinn beach cruiser which has steel rims. I was considering the little salmon pads from Harris Cyclery. Are they superior?
Absolutely. Any LBS can order them for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.