Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a realistic price for a barn find 1952 Schwinn in decent shape? It has some surface rust in the picture but I won't get a good look til I look in person tomorrow. Just don't want to get taken but this is the cheapest price one I have found in my area. Looking to do a loose version of a bomber/klunker to putz around on with the kids.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I could answer your question if you stated the model and wheel size. Is it a 20" wheeled girls bike? Does it have original paint? Tank? Fenders, chain guard or rack? Is it a complete ride-able bike? Is the fork bent? Do you have a picture?

·
Registered
112 Posts
If it is a 26" balloon (there were three different styles) mens frame, and the frame does not have any damage aside from light rust, the frame is worth at least $100; more if it has nice original paint.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't figure out how to post a picture of 1938 now since he took the craigslist ad down. I have it on my laptop but I am pretty computer illiterate. lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
This bike is a DX also. It is more likely a 40 or a 41 than a 38. If you pull the crank out, it probably has the year cast onto it between the bearing threads. It does not have the original Schwinn fork, so you should check the frame to see if it has any damage.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Its probably a 41. In 1948, there was a fire in the Schwinn factory and the serial number records were lost; so the numbers are not a very accurate way to determine when the frame was made. Schwinn did cast the year into most, but not all crank arms. Based on the crank arms and other features a serial number list is being put together. You can see it here.

Bicycle Chronicles

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really appreciate your help fat tire trader. You pointed out things that I would have never known.

Now that you mentioned the fork, I did notice that the bike felt heavy in the front end steering wise. I found a couple of pics on line and the fork that is on it is quite a bit different, actually looks like a fork that was on a old early 80s bike I have. Is there a good alternative for a replacement that won't break the bank?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I will look to see if I have the correct fork. While we are at it, can you pull the fork out and clean, inspect and photograph the headset parts? The headset may have been changed when the fork was changed. It would be nice to have an original type headset in it.

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
Just a reminder that blatant sales of parts is considered spam and will be deleted without a paid ad. Eh hem. Please take it to pms.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey Girl. Did you read my posts? Did you read that I am offering anything for sale? Don't you have anything better to do? I bet if I was offering to sell WTB speedmasters to you, you would not be upset. What is your problem? Oh, I forgot, it must be the blood moon...

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
Hey Girl. Did you read my posts? Did you read that I am offering anything for sale? Don't you have anything better to do? I bet if I was offering to sell WTB speedmasters to you, you would not be upset. What is your problem? Oh, I forgot, it must be the blood moon...

Yawn. You always have a stick up your butt, buddy. Funny about the rollercams, trader. :)

And yeah. I've read and deleted the one where you said if he needed any parts, you can help. My bad. Didn't know they were for free.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts