Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on comparisons between these 2 bikes? They both have some upgrades and are close in price. It's for my daughter who is 52" tall and outgrowing her 20". The RM seems lighter probably but the DB has a slacker HTA (70.5 vs 69.0). The DB has an upgraded trailcraft crank, and the RM has upgraded XT 10 spd drivetrain, DB is SRAM 11spd stock.

I am leaning towards going slacker rather than lighter, but am new to kids bikes for the most part.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I'd go slacker for sure. Those HTA's are as steep or steeper than my DJ. I tested my 6yros 68hta and went to 66hta. It wasn't a perfect test, but it ended pretty much eliminating over-bars crashes (that were happening frequently). Prevelo switched from old school 68d to a 66d for the same reason. On a hardtail especially, it just works better as a trail bike.

Have you looked at the 24" Vitus Nucleus? Its a better bike than both of those and really affordable for a bike with an airfork, hydraulic brakes, proper length cranks, Box drive train (with a clutch!) and nice light tires. Nothing comes close to the value of it. Its a solid bike that any kid could shred.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd go slacker for sure. Those HTA's are as steep or steeper than my DJ. I tested my 6yros 68hta and went to 66hta. It wasn't a perfect test, but it ended pretty much eliminating over-bars crashes (that were happening frequently). Prevelo switched from old school 68d to a 66d for the same reason. On a hardtail especially, it just works better as a trail bike.

Have you looked at the 24" Vitus Nucleus? Its a better bike than both of those and really affordable for a bike with an airfork, hydraulic brakes, proper length cranks, Box drive train (with a clutch!) and nice light tires. Nothing comes close to the value of it. Its a solid bike that any kid could shred.
Actually that was the other choice I was weighing. I believe the gearing on both of these is better than the nucleus as well as some other nice after market upgrades. That said, the nucleus has a more modern geometry and would be brand new so it is worthy of a second look, all 3 would be essentially the same price. Maybe geometry and slack-ness is king here, noone wants to go over the handlebars when learning a new sport!

BTW, what is a DJ?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Slacker is just more forgiving for kids, in our experience it makes things more fun and they feeler safer and more confident. Plenty of sendy kids have gotten by on something steeper so its not something that ruins it entirely.

Ah a DJ is a dirt jumper, short and steep geometry with a stiff fork for maximum boost. Fun bikes for sure but sketchy on the trail (shorter reach and the steep HTA).

Actually that was the other choice I was weighing. I believe the gearing on both of these is better than the nucleus as well as some other nice after market upgrades. That said, the nucleus has a more modern geometry and would be brand new so it is worthy of a second look, all 3 would be essentially the same price. Maybe geometry and slack-ness is king here, noone wants to go over the handlebars when learning a new sport!

BTW, what is a DJ?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slacker is just more forgiving for kids, in our experience it makes things more fun and they feeler safer and more confident. Plenty of sendy kids have gotten by on something steeper so its not something that ruins it entirely.

Ah a DJ is a dirt jumper, short and steep geometry with a stiff fork for maximum boost. Fun bikes for sure but sketchy on the trail (shorter reach and the steep HTA).
Slacker wins!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.