Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've removed the shock on my comp carbon LT a few times to flip the chip and try and ST shock/yoke. Since the first try, I had to muscle the bolt out. Not as if it had been overtorqued, there was a lot of resistance all the way. Cleaned the bolt, no loctite. Threads are fine both for the bolt and frame. Due to this, I've not tightened it hard at all.

Has been in place now over the summer, and yesterday the unbraco key slipped, effectively effing up. So now the bolt is stuck. I plan to let my LBS sort it in a few weeks as a damper/shock service is due anyway, but just wondered if anyone else have the same problem?

The bolt sits so tight I had to screw it all the way out with a tool, it never got loose enough to rotate by hand. Same when fitting it.
It's just as if the entry hole isn't in line with the threads, the shock bushing is too tight or whatnot. A bit bummed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the exact same problem with mine. I'm guessing we aren't the only 2 with the problem. I took the shock out to flip the chip or switch to short travel a few times. Bolt never felt right coming out, was always tighter than it should have been.

I'd suggest that you don't do anything else to it and take it to LBS. I have an excellent relationship with my local shop and they have a great relationship with Specialized. LBS was able to get Specialized to warranty the frame. I thought I was screwed but LBS and Specialized stepped up. Hopefully you'll have a similar experience. Good luck!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the record if anyone else experiences this: took the bike to my LBS (specialized elite shop), so if something broke, it wouldn't be my doing :)

We found a better fitting umbraco key, and managed to get the bolt turning. It was insanely hard to turn, but moved when using a lot of brute force. We eventually got it out so much that the threads should be free, but it stopped moving outward. So we tried pulling on it with pliers while turning it, no go. In the end we used a puller on the bolt, and hammered the puller carefully from the other site with a hammer and dowel. This, plus turning the bolt eventually made it come out from the grasp of the shock bushing. This took about 1 hour - we were of course careful not to harm the frame. My LBS are proper mechanics, and they've never seen anything like it.

The threads were fine, but it seems that the loctite or whatever compound used had become gummy/hardened, and with a tight fit it just kept on stopping the bolt from moving. Doing it's job, I suppose, and there must have been a large blob sitting in the bolt nut.

Cleaned the bolt with a wire brush, cleaned the threads with an air gun, put a dab of copper grease on the bolt, and voila - It can be tightened about 90% by hand.

So, lesson learned: the stumpy shock mounting bolt bonded to the frame is seriously solid - and I will not be using loctite on that bolt myself, probably keep on greasing it instead!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This happened to my 2019 Stumpjumper Expert. The LBS had to get a new front triangle and shock from Specialized because they absolutely could not get it unstuck.
Worse off than me. My fear was that the bolt had more or less bonded to the nut in the frame, but it seems this part is very strong. Weird that they didn't manage to remove it. Worst case, we'd drill it out carefully. Time consuming, but doable.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The shop worked on it for quite a while, and they did attempt to drill it out but still couldn't get it out.

Worse off than me. My fear was that the bolt had more or less bonded to the nut in the frame, but it seems this part is very strong. Weird that they didn't manage to remove it. Worst case, we'd drill it out carefully. Time consuming, but doable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.