Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
thin blue line
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know. A person should ride the bike first for proper fit, but I want to build my next bike and I don't know of anyone in the south Texas area who possesses or sells Sette. Technically speaking, is the Flite 19.5 large enough for a 6'5" 200lbs rider? The Sette sizing chart starts at 5'11" and ends at 6'2" for the largest size available. I know it's only three inches, but every other size listed has a from "min" height to "max" height suggestion leading one to believe that 6'2" is the suggested max for the large. Thanks and before anybody tells me to post in the Sette forum, I did and this forum is what was recommended.
 

·
mbtr member
Joined
·
6,503 Posts
I wouldn't rock it and i'm 6'2. I'd want another inch of TT. That would be more than 1 size the way sette did the sizing.

It kinda sucks for tall folks, as you've already figured out. For frames, the lack of XL choices is more frustrating than the lack of discount XL frames. (no dig against sette, i've never seen a flite) The frame is the soul of the bike, and does the most to influence how it rides. Trek, spesh, and the other big brands are pretty good about making big bikes, and with them you can count on them being pretty good all around frames/bikes, if you get the style that fits you and your trails. Hard to find anything with really unique personality in XL though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
I am back and forth about wanting to post, but there is a 90mm difference in stand over from the Flite and his current bike which is a Mojave 3.0. There is only a 10mm difference in top tube length. The reach of his bike is very close to the Flite. I personally would rather see him in a bike that fits right, so I dont want to sway him. I just wanted to get those 2 measurements out there for you guys to chew on. One other thing to consider is the stand over of the Flite is higher than the 20 inch Ace which is rated to 6' 4", but the top tube is a bit longer.

I think you might have difficulty finding a frame online that will suit your needs.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,198 Posts
Dremer03 said:
I am back and forth about wanting to post, but there is a 90mm difference in stand over from the Flite and his current bike which is a Mojave 3.0. There is only a 10mm difference in top tube length. The reach of his bike is very close to the Flite. I personally would rather see him in a bike that fits right, so I dont want to sway him. I just wanted to get those 2 measurements out there for you guys to chew on. One other thing to consider is the stand over of the Flite is higher than the 20 inch Ace which is rated to 6' 4", but the top tube is a bit longer.

I think you might have difficulty finding a frame online that will suit your needs.
Six posts , all saying its too small , now you want to post saying its the right size ? You are blatantly pimping this bike even though it is not in the best intrest's of the o.p. . You affiliation's with this company should exclude you from this discussion , as you have demonstrated your inability to be objective in any discussion involving your sponsers . Please quit spamming this board .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
AZ.MTNS said:
Six posts , all saying its too small , now you want to post saying its the right size ? You are blatantly pimping this bike even though it is not in the best intrest's of the o.p. . You affiliation's with this company should exclude you from this discussion , as you have demonstrated your inability to be objective in any discussion involving your sponsers . Please quit spamming this board .
I didn't say that, and no I dont think it is the right frame for him. In fact I think he is going in the wrong direction with what he wants to get all together. He wants to go from a Hybrid to a 6 inch AM bike, thats a huge leap. Perhaps he should look at a 4 or 5 inch travel XC/Trail Bike instead. He can still do some nice jumps and drops, but the bike wont be 35 pounds.
 

·
Pedaler of dirt
Joined
·
903 Posts
At 6'5" myself I've always gone with as small a frame as possible and a lot of my bikes have been 19". I like my bikes to be 'flickable' and nimble, not something I've found with larger frames. For my riding style (a lot of out of saddle riding) and trails (twisty single track no hills) a smaller frame works fine. If your more inclined to stay seated then a larger frame may be better for you, but with any bike you'll only know it's the right fit after you've ridden it for a while.
 

·
mbtr member
Joined
·
6,503 Posts
marzjennings said:
At 6'5" myself I've always gone with as small a frame as possible and a lot of my bikes have been 19". I like my bikes to be 'flickable' and nimble, not something I've found with larger frames. For my riding style (a lot of out of saddle riding) and trails (twisty single track no hills) a smaller frame works fine. If your more inclined to stay seated then a larger frame may be better for you, but with any bike you'll only know it's the right fit after you've ridden it for a while.
You're confusing design and size. Want something flickable? Get a bike with a falling rate suspension, short chainstays, and slack seat angle. It won't suck like a too-small bike does. Too small just means you're constantly shifting behind the seat and competing for space with the bars. Once you've had a bike that is the right design AND size you can never go back to a too-small compromise.

Been there, done that... yuck.
 

·
Pedaler of dirt
Joined
·
903 Posts
scottzg said:
You're confusing design and size. Want something flickable? Get a bike with a falling rate suspension, short chainstays, and slack seat angle. It won't suck like a too-small bike does. Too small just means you're constantly shifting behind the seat and competing for space with the bars. Once you've had a bike that is the right design AND size you can never go back to a too-small compromise.

Been there, done that... yuck.
See I tried a XL sixpack and while it felt fine I ended up getting a large sixpack which I found better and with no compromise. But saying that, I'm looking to get a new Flux this year and for that bike and the way I want to ride it I'll be getting a XL frame or maybe even a 2XL 5.spot.

Also I'm all legs and shorter body which means I don't need a huge top tube, just a yard of seatpost.
 

·
mbtr member
Joined
·
6,503 Posts
marzjennings said:
See I tried a XL sixpack and while it felt fine I ended up getting a large sixpack which I found better and with no compromise. But saying that, I'm looking to get a new Flux this year and for that bike and the way I want to ride it I'll be getting a XL frame or maybe even a 2XL 5.spot.

Also I'm all legs and shorter body which means I don't need a huge top tube, just a yard of seatpost.
If you're gonna confine yourself to one brand, i guess it might make sense to get the 'wrong' size to get the feel you want. It's not how i would choose a frame, but i can understand wanting to stick with turners. It's all about picking your compromises. :thumbsup:
 

·
mtbr member
Joined
·
491 Posts
marzjennings said:
I don't need a huge top tube, just a yard of seatpost.
I guess I don't understand what you mean. Doesn't "a yard of seatpost" mean a longer seat post?

Earlier in this thread you say you go with the smallest frame possible. Doesn't that mean a shorter seat post?
 

·
mbtr member
Joined
·
6,503 Posts
Noobi-Wan Kenobi said:
I guess I don't understand what you mean. Doesn't "a yard of seatpost" mean a longer seat post?

Earlier in this thread you say you go with the smallest frame possible. Doesn't that mean a shorter seat post?
seat post =/ seat tube.
 

·
Pedaler of dirt
Joined
·
903 Posts
Noobi-Wan Kenobi said:
I guess I don't understand what you mean. Doesn't "a yard of seatpost" mean a longer seat post?

Earlier in this thread you say you go with the smallest frame possible. Doesn't that mean a shorter seat post?
Yes smallest frame so when I'm out of the saddle there's a lot of clearance between nuts and top tube. For example in corners I like to drop the bike into the corner while keeping the body upright, something like this...



...(that's not me) and I don't want a high top tube from a large frame in the way.

And yes, a longer seat post, because once back in the saddle I want to be able to pedal efficiently.

Here's a picture from the last time my bike was clean...

 

·
Pedaler of dirt
Joined
·
903 Posts
scottzg said:
If you're gonna confine yourself to one brand, i guess it might make sense to get the 'wrong' size to get the feel you want. It's not how i would choose a frame, but i can understand wanting to stick with turners. It's all about picking your compromises. :thumbsup:
It would be nice to have a bunch of bikes in different sizes that I could choose from and ride depending on the type of riding I have planned. I have noticed that on long flat hauls where you just need to get down and pedal having the 'wrong' sized frame isn't a plus.

Maybe someone could design and build a frame where you could adjust the geometry on the fly.
 

·
mbtr member
Joined
·
6,503 Posts
marzjennings said:
It would be nice to have a bunch of bikes in different sizes that I could choose from and ride depending on the type of riding I have planned. I have noticed that on long flat hauls where you just need to get down and pedal having the 'wrong' sized frame isn't a plus.
I think you want a bunch of bikes of different designs, not sizes. Riding a small bike just sucks.

It sucks through the rough because you can't get back far enough off the front wheel
it sucks on steep descents because you have to ride behind the saddle too much
it sucks climbing because it wants to wheelie
it sucks when you slam the brakes and can't brace against the bars to keep your weight back as effectively

The only time a too-small frame is good is when you need to get your weight on top of the rear wheel, and there's better ways to design a bike to do that besides a short TT. Of course that means you have a choose a different model. The extra crotch clearance is nice too, but again, that's a design thing.
marzjennings said:
Maybe someone could design and build a frame where you could adjust the geometry on the fly.
like bionicon?:p

And, although i don't think it's an issue here but internet communication sucks- i'm not trying to argue or anything, I'm just airing out my opinion.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top