Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently own a Trek VRX 300 from literally like 1999. I was thinking of saving $$ and just replacing the shocks which are ****.

Also thought about having them serviced

Rock Shox Judy XC, 3.15" travel 80mm - Front Fork

Fox Vanilla R 5.0" travel - rear shock

Any thoughts on how I would go about getting a replacement?

·
since 4/10/2009
31,969 Posts
you certainly won't be saving money trying to buy new.

very little will fit the front, anyway.

for the rear, you need to know the eye-to-eye and stroke dimensions before you can say anything about replacements. THEN, you'll need to find the correct reducer hardware.

you are probably better off looking on the used market for more era-appropriate replacements, especially for the fork. Not sure anyone even makes an 80mm travel fork anymore.

or, just buy a new bike. bikes now are so much better than what you have

·
Kick Start My Heart
596 Posts
Not a lot of options for 80mm cantilever brake forks new. If any.
If you can operate hand tools, you can service that fork yourself.
That fork likely needs the elastomers replaced as well, they tend to get mushy, and /or disintegrate.
I could type all night, but Google is your friend on this.
Retro bike has a rebuild manual in the archives, and a company US has the elastomers.
I just rebuilt a pair of those, under $100 each, made night and day difference. No comparison to a modern fork, but a big change over being worn out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
slow
7,158 Posts
If you really want to replace the fork, I'd suggest finding a used Fox RL or RS Reba or SID with the correct 1.125" straight steertube and do seals and fluid as necessary.

Some of the older Rebas could be spaced down from 100mm to 80mm, but I liked the ride of my old 26'er better when I went from the 80mm fork it was designed for to a 100mm fork.

If you can't find a fork with v-brake posts, you can run a mechanical disc brake like the BB-7 up front using your current v-brake lever. However, that would require investing in a disc compatable front wheel and disc caliper.

If you are not emotionally attached to this bike, you might actually be better off selling it inexpensively and finding an inexpensive used bike that is newer and in better condition than yours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts